The Alice Crocker Lloyd Radiation Therapy Center
The building occupied by the Alice Crocker Lloyd Radiation Therapy Center of the Department of Radiology was conceived as a result of conversations in the spring of 1952 between Dr. F. J. Hodges, chairman of the Department of Radiology, and Dr. John C. Bugher, Director of the Division of Biology and Medicine of the Atomic Energy Commission. Dr. Bugher proposed a program of evaluation of clinical treatment of the cancerous diseases using teletherapy radioisotope units. Initially, it was planned to employ cobalt-60, and when cesium-137 could be separated it was to be used in a second teletherapy unit. One factor which interested the AEC was that since 1934 an organized recording of results of cancer treatment has been made at the University Hospital; this provided a rich background of standard high voltage X-ray treatment results to compare with results obtained with teletherapy units.
As a result of these discussions, and with the consent of the University, a formal research proposal was submitted to the AEC in May, 1952. This was approved in August, 1952, and was formally signed on December 22, 1952.
During the discussions preceding the submission of the formal research proposal, the AEC announced that it could no longer support major construction at university sites. Since the radiation therapy quarters in the Department of Radiology were entirely inadequate for housing teletherapy units, the project could not have been undertaken without new and larger quarters. This problem was discussed with Dean Furstenberg and the Executive Committee of the Medical School in April, 1952, and permission was granted to request financial aid of the Phoenix-Memorial Project. An initial grant of $75,000 from the Alice Crocker Lloyd Memorial Fund of the Phoenix-Memorial Project restricted to cancer research and $15,000 from unrestricted Phoenix Project funds formed the nucleus of the construction cost. The balance was provided by the University Hospital, the Medical School, and the general fund of the University. Authorization was given by the University in April, 1953, to complete final plans and accept bids. Ground-breaking ceremonies took place on July 14, 1953, and the building was completed and occupied in April, 1954. The first cobalt-60 source, 1903 Curies, was delivered and installed in February, 1955. The Center was appropriately dedicated on March 26, 1955.
Page 1652The Center is situated in the area south of the corridor connecting the Main Hospital and the Kresge Medical Research Building. The entrance is from the south wall of the corridor. Except for a penthouse for mechanical equipment, the building is below ground level. The Center will be used solely as the radiation therapy division of the Department of Radiology, providing facilities for the examination and treatment of patients and for related teaching and research activities.
The building was designed by Black and Black, of Lansing, Michigan, and was constructed by the Jeffress-Dyer Company of Washington, D.C. The planning was done in a series of conferences attended by the architects, Mr. Fry, Dr. Hodges, Dr. Lampe, and administrators of the University Hospital.
The structure consists of 6,600 square feet of floor space underground and 600 square feet in the penthouse above grade. The walls, floor, and ceiling are of poured high-density concrete. There are twenty-three rooms and three corridors. The five treatment rooms are appropriately shielded with lead and concrete to prevent radiation transmission to other parts of the building. The Center is provided with a class and staff conference room, examining and dressing rooms for patients, a room for radium storage and handling, a physics laboratory, a room for records and statistics, and an attractive entrance lobby. With the exception of the inner walls of the two large rooms designed to contain teletherapy units, the inner partitions are constructed of cinder block, with plaster in some areas. The treatment rooms, dressing rooms, and toilets have ceramic tile floors; other flooring is of asphalt tile. Most of the ceilings are covered with acoustical tile.
The estimated cost of the building was $250,000. The name Alice Crocker Lloyd Radiation Therapy Center was designated by the Regents in honor of the late Dean of Women, Alice Crocker Lloyd.