Laboratory of Vertebrate Biology Building
The only building which was designed and built for the use of any of the sections of the Institute of Human Biology is the Vertebrate Biology Building north of the court at 1135 East Catherine Street. Constructed of inexpensive brick and tile, it was erected for the Laboratory of Vertebrate Genetics from a special appropriation of $20,000 made by the Board of Regents in 1930 (R.P., 1929-32, p. 372). Horace W. Feldman, who was then the Director, moved his stocks of mammals into this building as soon as it was completed in 1931. The western exterior wall was left unfinished in the expectation that an addition would be constructed later. An outdoor room of concrete and Page 1667wire screen, measuring 20 by 30 feet, was erected later at the east. In addition to animal rooms, a food-mixing room, a cage-washing room, a technique laboratory, the psychological testing rooms, offices, and a seminar room and library, the Vertebrate Biology Building also houses the Institute shops. In these shops are repaired and constructed animal cages, traps, and experimental equipment of many kinds, much of it employing electronic circuits.