Harris Hall, first called Hobart Hall, was built by St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in 1887. To obtain a home or a center for the activities of the Hobart Guild of Episcopal students, contributions and bequests were secured through the efforts of Bishop Samuel S. Harris, and the building at the northwest corner of State and Huron streets, constructed at a cost of $31,000, was formally dedicated in April, 1887 (The Michigan Book, pp. 90-91).
In 1946 the church leased it to the University for a seven-year period, with privilege of renewal for another seven years, for use as classrooms by the University School of Music, specifically the Band and Wind Instrument Department.
Extensive remodeling was done at that time. Practice studios were built in the basement, principally for wind instruments. The main floor was remodeled to include a comfortable lounge, a library, a uniform room, and an equipment room.
The building is still owned by the Episcopal Student Foundation, although the land on which it stands belongs to the church.