The University Coliseum building, which stands on Hill Street at the corner of South Fifth Avenue, about three blocks from the University's Athletic Field, is used during the winter as a student skating rink. It was purchased by the Board in Control of Physical Education in 1925 and adapted for skating and hockey at a total cost of $104,837. The development of this property was a part of the general program in physical education for the student body inaugurated at the time that the Stadium and the intramural Sports Building were erected and the Women's Athletic Field was developed.
The Coliseum is a large steel and concrete structure. In 1949-50 the ice rink was remodeled at a cost of approximately $235,000 to provide a seating capacity of 3,500. Since the building became University property, it has been in use throughout the winter months for skating and for intercollegiate hockey matches.