GIFTS TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
SINCE its original establishment in Detroit in 1817, the University of Michigan had received, by June 30, 1939, almost $45,000,000 from sources other than state funds or student fees. This great sum represents considerably more than one-half of the present assets of the University in lands, buildings, and endowments. Most of it is to be regarded
|Lands||$ 981,389.57||$ 1,862,373.95|
|Buildings and improvements||4,578,850.70||11,012,213.18|
|Art collections (estimate)||317,276.38||126,189.33|
|Endowment and trust||8,669,008.09||2,823,326.04|
|W. W. Cook endowment (as of June 30, 1939)||2,079,286.08|
|Current funds, fellowships, etc.||2,519,746.03||361,208.45|
|Smaller and unreported gifts (estimate)||150,000.00||200,000.00|
Of the total amount over $22,000,000 has come from alumni of the University, while almost $22,400,000 has been contributed by public-spirited citizens and corporate organizations and by such bodies as the Carnegie and Rockefeller foundations and the Rackham Fund.
A general classification of gifts to the University during the 122 years of its existence is shown in Table I.
These amounts, it should be understood, are to be considered only as approximations, since many sources which give valuations on different bases have necessarily been utilized, and in some cases, as in the case of the General Library, only estimates have been possible. The totals, however, may be taken as fairly accurate representations of the gifts to the University throughout its history.
The amounts given in Table I do not Page 185represent exactly the present property of the University which has come as gifts or other forms of support. Over $6,200,000, or a little less than one-seventh of the total, has been received and expended for salaries, fellowships, and research, and should therefore be deducted from the total. A classification of these increments into funds representing permanent additions to the University's resources or those expended in the course of the University's educational and scholarly activities is given in Table II.
|Represented by present property or funds:|
|Lands||$ 981,389.57||$ 1,862,373.95|
|Smaller gifts, less than $100 (estimated)||150,000.00||200,000.00|
|Not represented by present property:|
|Current funds, fellowships, etc||$ 2,519,746.03||$ 361,208.45|
|$ 5,647,973.18||$ 561,049.10|
In the financial report for the year 1938-39 the University's assets were given as $75,741,702.33, including lands, buildings, and endowments. Therefore, even allowing for the funds which have been expended, something more than one-half of the University's total resources at the present time have come in the form of gifts, if this term is understood as representing all additions to the University's resources which do not arise from the state of Michigan. It is significant that almost all of the benefactions made by alumni are included among the permanent assets. Thus, it may be said that nearly 30 per cent of the University's present resources in various forms has arisen through the contributions from alumni.
In this record of benefactions from public and alumni sources the University of Michigan stands almost alone among state institutions. It is true that the first colleges established in America — Harvard, Yale, William and Mary, and Princeton — received aid in their first days from the colonial governments, but as they grew stronger they depended more and more upon private support. Thus, most of the colleges and universities on the Atlantic seaboard came to be regarded eventually as privately endowed institutions, as they are to this day.
With the advent of the state universities of a later era the fact that support was given them at first through government land grants and then later by the states, or in some cases by municipalities, tended to limit the development of private gifts. At the present time only a few of the state universities have received any great degree of support from Page 186private benefactors. Almost from the beginning, the University of Michigan, with its long record of gifts from private citizens and particularly from alumni, has been an exception. There are a few state universities which have received large gifts, notably California, but these have come mostly from private donors rather than from the alumni, and although exact figures, particularly on alumni gifts, are not easily available, it may be said that Michigan has received far more from her alumni than any other state institution.
There is a historical background for this generous support. In its very beginning in Detroit, the first institution of 1817 received two significant benefactions. The citizens of Detroit subscribed $5,000 to start the little "University of Michigania," and while it is not known whether all of these contributions were paid, sufficient funds were received to erect the first building. An even more significant and romantic gift was the 1,871 acres of land contributed by various Indian tribes toward the institution then in process of organization, in the Treaty of Fort Meigs in 1817. These lands were eventually sold for $5,888.40 — a large sum in those primitive days, when the purchasing power of a dollar was at least five times what it is today.
The forty acres of the original campus in Ann Arbor, contributed by the Ann Arbor Land Company as an inducement to bring the University to Ann Arbor, formed a third important, even if not an entirely disinterested, gift. It is now difficult to say just how much actual cash the gift represented at that time. Today it is carried on the books of the University at a purely nominal figure of $160,000, following a valuation made in 1913. On the basis of the values of property adjoining the University it might easily be valued at ten or twenty times that amount. This example indicates the difficulty of arriving at any exact representation of the actual value of many gifts to the University. But in most cases the valuations are far below what the institution could realize upon them today.
During the period from 1817 to 1854 the University received gifts which totaled, at a conservative estimate, more than $50,000, a sum that compares very favorably with the present ratio of gifts to the total property of the University. This public support in the University's early days represents the active interest of the people of Michigan in the institution — an interest which has always continued. In addition to the gifts already mentioned, it includes a contribution by Detroit citizens of $16,500 for the Observatory and $1,565 given by Ann Arbor citizens toward the University Library. Aside from a loan of $100,000 made to the University by the legislature in 1838 to support the branches and erect the first buildings on the campus, no actual support was received from the state until the proceeds of the first mill tax became available in 1869. Therefore, these gifts represented the University's only sources of income, aside from the slowly growing interest upon the fund arising from the sale of the lands contributed by the Federal Government and from student fees, which amounted to only $2,900 in 1855, fourteen years after the University opened its doors.
It must be remembered that throughout this early period the people of Michigan were for the most part desperately poor. Little hard cash was available for any purpose, not even for education; everyone was too busy wresting a livelihood from the forests. Nevertheless, the record shows that from the earliest days contributions were being made to the University's Library and scientific collections. The first mention of a benefaction after the University was established Page 187in Ann Arbor was a set of Brockhaus' Konversations-Lexikon, still in the General Library, presented by a Dr. Charles W. Borup, superintendent of the American Fur Company trading post at La Pointe, Lake Superior. The Regents also reported three years later a donation of an "ancient runic book," the identity of which has been lost, and in 1845 Dr. G. F. Turner, a surgeon in the United States Army, gave a collection of Mexican birds. In 1852 Alvah Bradish, later Professor of Fine Arts, gave for the "cabinet" of the University an alligator and some of the "fish of the Caribbean Sea." Mineral collections, including specimens of gold from California, shells from the "Sandwich Islands," and a collection of "pure and spurious drugs" came in succeeding years.
Upon the establishment of the Law School in 1859, Thomas M. Cooley, as a member of the first faculty, made a gift of a collection of law books which became the nucleus of the present Law Library. In the same year Professor Frieze, while he was abroad, used an unexpended balance of his salary to purchase books, engravings, photographs, and plaster and terra-cotta statues — the first gifts to the art collections. In 1859 also the first extensive gift to the Museum comprised "objects of natural history," collected during a period of duty on the Pacific by Lieutenant W. P. Trowbridge, who had been Professor of Mathematics at the University during the year 1856-57. Originally deposited with the Smithsonian Institution of Washington, this collection came to the University through the efforts of the distinguished director of the Museum, Joseph Henry, and formed the foundation of the University's scientific collections.
Few if any gifts came from alumni during this early period. The graduates were too few and too young. Those first recorded were reported by Professor Silas H. Douglass in 1862, when Eber Ward Owen ('60) gave a collection of iron ores, fluxes and manufactured iron, and A. C. Jewett ('62) a collection of minerals. From that time on, names of alumni figure more and more prominently in the lists of donors.
Every year saw some gifts reported, most of them small, but evidencing a real public interest in the University and its program. Among other early contributions was a marble replica of Randolph Rogers' "Nydia," valued at $1,700, given by the Rogers Art Association, an Ann Arbor organization, which raised part of the funds, at least, by charging twenty-five cents admission to view this impressive importation from Rome. In 1866 Richard Fletcher, a lawyer of Boston, supplemented Judge Cooley's gift with a law library of 800 volumes, while Dr. Abram Sager of the medical faculty gave a herbarium of 5,000 specimens. A further addition to the herbarium came in 1869, when a collection numbering 325,000 items was bequeathed to the University by G. L. Ames of Niles. The same year a public-spirited citizen of Detroit, Philo Parsons, donated the library of the learned Professor Rau of Heidelberg, over 4,000 volumes, the first large gift to the General Library. Continual additions to the Museum and the University Herbarium were received throughout the years from 1870 to 1880, including the collections made in South America and the Far East by Joseph B. Steere ('78), given by R. A. Beal, which form a valuable part of the present anthropological collections of the University.
The beginning of the University's endowments may be said to have taken place in 1880, when Walter Crane gave some property in Detroit to the University. It was not sold, however, until 1902, when the resulting $20,000 was Page 188used to establish a fund to be used for special purposes designated by the Regents. The first actual endowment was the Williams professorship fund, established by the Alumni Association to support the declining years of the first member of the faculty to hold classes in the University, Professor George Palmer Williams. It was administered by the Society of the Alumni up to 1897, when control passed to the Regents of the University. Through mismanagement the fund had been reduced to $14,958.35, but later accumulations have increased it to $38,500 providing an income sufficient to support an emeritus professorship (see Part II: Alumni Association). The first permanent fund in the control of the Regents arose from a contribution of $458.41 by German citizens in 1886 for the purchase of books on German literature.
The long list of loan and scholarship funds established by various classes in the University was inaugurated in 1894, when the Literary class of that year made a gift of $1,538.13 to establish a scholarship loan fund. The following year a public-spirited woman in the East, Clara Harrison Stranahan, gave the sum of $25,000 in memory of her father, Seth Harrison, to be used for the benefit of his descendants. The first professorship funds came in 1898 and 1899, when Elizabeth H. Bates left $13,700 to establish the Bates professorship in the Department of Medicine and Surgery, and Mrs. Catherine Neafie Kellogg left $10,000 to establish a chair in the University to be filled by "a woman of acknowledged ability." Although this fund now amounts to $70,000, the chair will not be established until the sum reaches the amount of $100,000. Two important endowments for the University Library came in 1894, when Corydon L. Ford, Professor of Anatomy and Physiology, gave $20,000, and Miss Jean L. Coyl, of Detroit, gave $10,000 to establish a library collection in memory of her brother.
The Observatory Building and its equipment, already noted, was the first building which came as a gift to the University in Ann Arbor. For many years it was the second largest observatory in this country and the third largest in the world. Other important gifts to the University's physical equipment during the era before 1910 included a series of contributions made by the city of Ann Arbor — $3,000 in 1867, to the Observatory, $1,565 in 1854 to the Library, and successive gifts amounting altogether to over $56,000 to the Hospital, the gift of $20,000 by Joshua W. Waterman for a gymnasium, supplemented by nearly $30,000 more from other contributors, and a similar series of gifts amounting in all to $20,000 for the women's gymnasium. As a contribution to the women's gymnasium fund, Regent Levi L. Barbour presented the University with property in Detroit "valued at $25,000.00," now valued at $82,170.41, the income from which is used for various purposes by the University. The Regents' eventual contribution of $20,593.94 from the general fund, for Barbour Gymnasium, was a recognition of this gift. An important addition to the University's musical resources came in 1894, when the University Musical Society contributed, as a memorial to the late Professor Frieze, the great organ used at the World's Fair in Chicago, valued at $25,000.
Despite this long series of gifts, and many others of smaller amounts, it was not until about the year 1910 that the era of spectacular contributions to the University was inaugurated. This was the period when the alumni completed their gift of $140,000 toward the building of Alumni Memorial Hall and Regent Arthur Hill left his bequest of $200,000 Page 189for Hill Auditorium. These gifts formed the first of the long list of magnificent benefactions from alumni and friends of the University, which has fulfilled the dreams of earlier days and has revolutionized the physical appearance of the University.
It had long been recognized that the income from the state, generous as it had always been after the first mill-tax was granted in 1867, together with the supplementary income from student fees, was not sufficient to support the University's whole program. For many years University officers had called attention to the necessity for additional funds to support aspects of the University's program which the state could not properly be expected to finance. Facilities for student social life provided by the Union and the League, such additions to University facilities, collections, and libraries as the Clements Library, the William W. Cook Quadrangle, the Rackham School of Graduate Studies, Alumni Memorial Hall, and the Burton Tower and Carillon have added immeasurably to the University's social and cultural advantages. Nevertheless, important as all these are in any assessment of the University's essential equipment, they do not fall within those immediate educational objectives the state may be expected to provide.
The tradition of giving, established in the University's first years, as we have seen, gradually grew and developed with the years. President Tappan, as far back as 1854, ascribed the accomplishments of the University "to the bounty of the general government and of individuals," while President Haven in his first report called attention to the fact that the University "must not be left to depend upon the first impulse given to it by the sale of the lands so wisely appropriated to its foundation, but must continue to grow with the … growth of the State," and a few years later he expressed the hope that, "as in the case of many other American colleges, liberal friends shall contribute largely for its improvement and support." The same suggestion was made by President Angell in 1874, when he said: "We cannot but hope that pride and generosity will freely supplement what has been done through the generosity of the state."
Professor Henry S. Frieze, when he was Acting President, stated in 1871: "If the University is to be kept up to its present rank, it must find somewhere … its Lawrences and Sheffields, its Thayers, McGraws and Cornells." He asked: "Can we fairly expect of the State alone that rapid accumulation of grants and endowments which will place us … on an equal financial footing with the wealthier universities and colleges?"
President Hutchins again and again emphasized this point. He said in 1909 in a speech before a group of alumni: "In my judgment, when the duty of education rests with the State it does not follow that the State should bear the entire expense. Much money should come to the University through private gifts."
The response to these pleas may seem for many years to have been relatively unimpressive, but the ideal they expressed was to bear fruit eventually, particularly as the alumni body of the University grew in size and wealth. It has been this long-continued acceptance, on the part of the public and the alumni, of a responsibility toward the University that has resulted in the happy situation in which the University of Michigan now finds itself, in the matter of gifts from alumni and other friends.
While it is impossible to chronicle all the thousands of gifts which have been made to the University, it is perhaps proper to list here some of the principal gifts, those amounting to $20,000 and Page 190over, which have come to the University of Michigan. Those marked with an asterisk represent gifts from alumni.
Lands. — In lands the University has received many important gifts in addition to the original campus in 1837.
|1837||40 acres, campus, Ann Arbor Land Company (inventory)||$ 160,000.00|
|1902||27 acres, Ferry Field, Dexter M. Ferry||45,500.00|
|1908||1,400 acres, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bogardus||22,500.00|
|1908||Land, including Palmer Field, Women's League and Athletic Association||124,563.66*|
|1917||Site for Museum, C. F. Cook||34,108.55*|
|1918||Real estate, H. H. Herbst||72,000.00*|
|1929||Site for Mosher-Jordan Halls, University of Michigan Club of Detroit||87,053.62*|
|1929||Washington Heights property, adjacent to Observatory, R. P. Lamont||25,292.68*|
|1929||3,000 acres, Duck Island Preserve, Hon. Chase S. Osborn||379,375.00*|
|1930||1,250 acres, Edwin George Reserve, Edwin S. George||150,000.00|
|1937||Sites for West Quadrangle Halls, Michigan Union||87,117.57*|
Buildings. — Among the buildings which have been given to the University, including the value of the sites and equipment when included in the gift, are the following:
|1854, 1867||Observatory, building and equipment, citizens of Detroit and Ann Arbor||$ 22,500.00|
|1889||Fund for Hospital construction, citizens of Ann Arbor||25,000.00|
|1894||Fund for gymnasium, Joshua W. Waterman ($20,000) and others||48,800.03|
|1895||Fund for women's gymnasium, various contributors||21,207.33*|
|1902||Fund for Palmer Ward, Mrs. L. M. Palmer||20,000.00|
|1910||Alumni Memorial Hall, Alumni Association||140,000.00*|
|1910||Bequest for auditorium, Arthur Hill||200,000.00*|
|1913||Contagious Hospital, city of Ann Arbor||25,000.00|
|1913||Helen Newberry Residence, Newberry estate||87,306.24|
|1913-19||Martha Cook Building, William W. Cook||460,478.89*|
|1917||Betsy Barbour House, Levi L. Barbour||196,345.00*|
|1920||William L. Clements Library, building and contents, William L. Clements||1,428,809.24*|
|1920||Michigan Union Building, with additions and land, Michigan Union||2,324,979.06*|
|1920||Adelia Cheever Residence, Pamela A. Noble and others||29,101.54|
|1923||Couzens Hall, James Couzens||619,000.00|
|1924||Simpson Memorial Institute, Mrs. Thomas H. Simpson||238,474.81|
|1925-35||Various units of the Law Quadrangle, William W. Cook||6,075,450.48*|
|1927||Observatory Building, South Africa, Robert P. Lamont||57,817.19*|
|1928||Material and equipment, concession in costs, Architecture Building||50,894.00|
|1929||School of Music Building, School of Music||96,393.03|
|1929||Michigan League Building, Women's League||1,071,799.98*|
|1931||University of Michigan Press Building, Dexter M. Ferry, Jr.||48,000.00*|
|1904-30||Total, buildings and improvements, Board in Control of Athletics||3,403,074.78*|
|1931||Student Publications Building, Board in Control of Student Publications||133,725.06*|
|1934||Lake Angelus Solar Tower, Rackham Fund||20,000.00|
|1935||Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies, Rackham Fund||2,341,085.88|
|1935||Burton Memorial Tower, University of Michigan Club of Ann Arbor, contribution of||28,745.74*|
|1936||Allen and Rumsey houses, Michigan Union||168,116.51*|
|1936||Lane Hall and Newberry Hall, Student Christian Association.||226,400.00*|
|1937||Institute for Human Adjustment, Rackham Fund||66,143.99|
|1938||Union and Medical dormitories, United States Government, PWA||525,000.00|
|1938||Hospital addition, United States Government, PWA||50,000.00|
|1938||W. K. Kellogg Foundation Institute, United States Government, PWA||107,500.00|
|1938||New Health Service, United States Government, PWA||118,750.00|
|1938||Stockwell Hall, United States Government, PWA||250,000.00|
|1938||East Quadrangle, men's halls of residence, and heating-plant equipment, United States Government, PWA||350,000.00|
|1938||W. K. Kellogg Foundation Institute, W. K. Kellogg Foundation, Battle Creek, Mich||236,500.00|
Equipment. — The following large gifts in the form of facilities and equipment have been received by the University:
|1884||Lewis Collection of paintings and sculpture, Henry C. Lewis||$ 200,000.00|
|1894||Columbian organ (Chicago World's Fair), University Musical Society||25,000.00*|
|1900||Musical instruments collection, Frederick Stearns||72,000.00|
|1925||Study of University heating system, Detroit Edison Company||50,000.00|
|1927||Fund for repairs to organ, School of Music||45,000.00|
|1927||Aeronautics equipment, Guggenheim Foundation||$ 28,004.62|
|1931-39||Broadcasting time and equipment, WJR||206,096.00|
|1934||Carillon and clock, Charles Baird||70,000.00*|
|1934||Therapeutics pool, Rackham Fund||20,000.00|
|1938||Facilities and broadcasting time, various radio stations||65,853.00|
|1939-41||Contributions to various libraries, excepting Clements Library, estimated (alumni, $212,409.52*)||657,852.53|
Endowment and trust funds. — Among the larger endowment and trust funds received by the University are the following:
|1887||Williams professorship fund, Alumni Association||$ 36,000.00*|
|1894||Fund for miscellaneous purposes, Levi L. Barbour||82,170.41*|
|1894||Library fund, Corydon L. Ford||20,000.00|
|1895||Seth Harrison scholarships, Clara H. Stranahan||33,769.77|
|1898||Professorship fund, Elizabeth H. Bates||137,000.00|
|1899||Professorship fund, Catherine N. Kellogg||48,785.57|
|1902||Walter Crane fund, from sale of property given by Walter Crane in 1880||20,719.28|
|1903||Palmer memorial free bed fund, Love Maria Palmer||21,500.00|
|1905||James B. Angell fund, Judge C. A. Kent||57,591.83|
|1910||Fellowship in botany, Emma J. Cole||21,000.00|
|1911||Funds for General Library and Law Library, Octavia W. Bates||34,066.42|
|1916||Fund for professorship, Richard Hudson||92,000.00*|
|1917||Scholarship fund for Oriental women, Levi L. Barbour||635,318.20*|
|1920||Oriental research and publication fund, Charles L. Freer||60,875.00|
|1920||Loan fund, George H. Benzenberg||33,043.68*|
|1921||Memorial scholarship, E. C. Hinsdale, Genevieve S. Hinsdale||27,493.83|
|1922||Scholarship fund, Cornelius Donovan||134,522.95*|
|1923||Traveling fellowship in architecture, George G. Booth||21,120.00|
|1923||Foundation (loan fund), Frances E. Riggs||62,680.21|
|1923||Dr. M. A. G. Crawford, educational loan fund, Minnie A. G. Dight||32,001.59*|
|1924||Alice Freeman Palmer fellowship in history, George Herbert Palmer||28,205.59|
|1924||Funds for Library, Silas Wright Dunning||305,544.38*|
|1924||Simpson Memorial Institute endowment, Mrs. Thomas H. Simpson||250,468.97|
|1925||Marion LeRoy Burton memorial endowment, friends (alumni, $38,100*)||106,700.00|
|1926||Eliot Street lease fund, Levi L. Barbour||50,000.00*|
|1927||Brosseau Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Brosseau||$ 105,677.99|
|1929||Avery Hopwood and Jule Hopwood prize fund, bequest of James Avery Hopwood||321,762.29*|
|1929||Simon Mandlebaum scholarship, Mary S. Mandelle||60,000.00|
|1929||Mildred Sheehan scholarship in aeronautics, memorial to Frank Sheehan||20,000.00|
|1929||Cook Foundation, W. W. Cook||117,000.00*|
|1930||George Willis Pack Forestry Foundation, Charles Lathrop Pack||196,585.32|
|1930||Fund for dental research, Lafayette Lyman Barber||40,000.00*|
|1930||Music fund, William H. Murphy||51,118.06*|
|1930||Bequest, Alexander Ziwet||19,139.13|
|1931||Endowment fund, Alumni Association||63,965.22*|
|1931||Oliver Ditson endowment, Charles H. Ditson||100,000.00|
|1932||Canfield memorial fellowship in otolaryngology, Mrs. Leslie Harlow Canfield||35,000.00|
|1935||Endowment for School of Graduate Studies, Rackham Fund||4,000,000.00|
|1935||University Musical Society endowment, University Musical Society||125,000.00|
|1935||Louis Merwin Gelston fellowship, estate of Lucia C. Gelston||33,163.85|
|1936||Fund for Institute for Human Adjustment, Mrs. Mary A. Rackham||1,000,000.00|
|1936||Endowment for Library Science, Carnegie Corporation||150,000.00|
|1936||University Musical Society endowment, University Musical Society||25,000.00|
|1936||Bequest, Mrs. Thekla Bengel Porter||30,000.00*|
|1936||Arthritis research, Rackham Fund||1,000,000.00|
|1937||LaVerne Noyes scholarships, trustees of LaVerne Noyes estate||69,660.00|
|1937||Horace H. Rackham trust fund for undergraduate scholarships, Rackham Fund||100,000.00|
|1937||Sociological research unit in Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies, Rackham Fund||500,000.00|
|1937||Harriet Eveleen Hunt trust fund, Ormond E. Hunt||22,999.00*|
|1940||Faculty salaries endowment fund, University of Michigan Club of New York||124,608.00*|
Funds for current use. — Certain funds have been deposited with the University and then expended in accordance with the desires of the donor.
|1928||Development of fine arts, Carnegie Corporation||$ 100,000.00|
|1935||Bequest, Bernard C. Hesse (completion of Burton Tower)||60,074.06*|
|1936||Graduate School income, Rackham Fund||118,908.75|
|1936||Income account of the Mary A. Rackham fund, Rackham Fund||116,049.47|
Page 192Continuing current funds. — Other funds for current use have been continued regularly over a period of years. The totals for the largest of these are as follows:
|1932-36||University Hospital, school for crippled children, anonymous||$ 33,881.21|
|1916-31||Board in Control of Student Publications, building fund and investment fund||78,316.19*|
|1902-31||Classical fellowship, Theodore D. Buhl||21,300.00|
|1930-34||Fellowship and studies in library science, Carnegie Corporation||27,085.49|
|1931-37||Librarian training funds, Carnegie Corporation||35,800.00|
|1931-39||Faculty retiring allowances, Carnegie Foundation||567,906.37|
|1931-39||Marquette clinic, Children's Fund of Michigan||37,545.29|
|1933-36||Salary funds, committee for displaced German scholars and physicians, Rockefeller Foundation||35,600.00|
|1934-39||Bureau of Industrial Relations, Earhart Foundation||46,899.95*|
|1932-36||Work in community leadership, Earhart Foundation||20,210.00*|
|1927-29||Chair in aeronautics, Guggenheim Foundation||50,000.00|
|1921-26||Fellowship in creative arts, Hon. Chase S. Osborn, H. H. Rackham||20,000.00|
|1933-39||Scholarship fund, Irak Ministry of Education||24,201.04|
|1923-39||Various Hospital funds, King's Daughters||45,621.02|
|1934-39||Support of Institute of Health and Social Sciences, Detroit, McGregor fund||68,055.13|
|1934-41||Clements Library, for purchase of collection, McGregor fund||115,000.00|
|1901-39||Fellowship, Michigan Gas Association||29,860.00|
|1931-39||Additions to income of George Willis Pack Forestry Foundation, Charles Lathrop Pack Forestry Trust||44,276.31|
|1935-39||United States Public Health Service, public health course||73,738.89|
|1933-35||FERA fund, United States Government||163,085.30|
|1935-37||Joint committee on public health education, various donors||20,626.85|
|1904-31||University of Michigan Studies, Humanistic Series, various donors||53,172.92|
Current funds for research. — Certain funds have been especially designated for immediate use on particular research projects:
|1929||Fund for Advanced Humanistics and Dictionary of Early Modern English, General Education Board||$ 250,000.00|
|1930||Research in child education, General Education Board||95,000.00|
|1935||Research activities in Graduate School, Rackham Fund||$ 100,000.00|
|1936||Lamont-Hussey Observatory in Bloemfontein, S. Afr||25,000.00*|
Continuing research funds. — Some of the University's research programs are followed over a number of years:
|1931-37||Support for Middle English Dictionary, American Council of Learned Societies||$ 56,901.56|
|1930-33||Dental research, Children's Fund of Michigan||80,500.00|
|1929-31||Nutrition research fund, Fellowship Corporation of Battle Creek||21,654.90|
|1931-37||Elementary School fund, General Education Board||81,779.25|
|1930-39||Early Modern English Dictionary, General Education Board||184,608.58|
|1930-33||Grant for advanced humanities (humanistics), General Education Board||86,722.00|
|1926-30||Greenland expedition fund, various donors (alumni, $24,500*)||64,460.05|
|1931-35||Fisheries research, Institute for Fisheries||29,881.43|
|1932-35||Research in caffeine, Kellogg Company||30,067.01|
|1936-39||Dental postgraduate program, Kellogg Foundation||50,000.00|
|1937-39||Lake Angelus astronomical support, McGregor fund||38,550.00|
|1931-35||Fisheries research, Michigan Department of Conservation||39,881.43|
|1931-39||Drug addiction research, National Research Council||156,443.75|
|1927-31||Salary fund, South African astronomical observatory, R. P. Lamont||38,170.00*|
|1934-35||Archaeological research at Karanis, Rackham Fund||50,000.00|
|1923-39||Anthropological research fund (Philippines), Rackham Fund||33,688.50|
|1933-35||Research in dental caries, Rackham Fund||20,012.25|
|1931-33||Near East research, H. H. Rackham||74,155.10|
|1934-36||Research in atomic nuclei, Rackham Fund||25,695.45|
|1933-37||Teaching, research, and training in psychiatry, Rockefeller Foundation||61,650.00|
|1932-35||Archaeological research at Karanis, Rockefeller Foundation||35,000.00|
|1932-35||Research fund in the humanities, Rockefeller Foundation||63,186.67|
|1933-37||Research in spectroscopic methods, Rockefeller Foundation||24,951.03|
|1938-39||Support for Bureau of Government, C. S. Mott Foundation||25,000.00|
|1928-31||Funds for Mesopotamian expedition, Toledo and Cleveland museums||42,500.00|
|1927-30||Cancer Research Institute, anonymous donor||86,844.41|
|1920-31||Humanistic research fund, various donors||55,399.03|
|1924-31||Funds for research in Near East, various donors||397,800.00|
Financial Report, Univ. Mich., 1917-40.
"Gifts." (1817-1934). P.R., 1934-35, pp. 289-94.
"Gifts." (1931-39). P.R., 1938-39, pp. 367-75.
Hinsdale, Burke A.History of the University of Michigan. Ed. by Isaac N. Demmon. Ann Arbor: Univ. Mich., 1906.
President's Report, Univ. Mich., 1853-1940.
Price, Richard R.The Financial Support of State Universities. (Harvard Stud. Ed., Vol. XI.) Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Univ. Press, 1924.
Price, Richard R."The Financial Support of the University of Michigan: Its Origin and Development."Harvard Bull. Ed., No. 8 (1923): 1-58.
Proceedings of the Board of Regents …, 1864-1940.
Shaw, Wilfred B.A Short History of the University of Michigan. Ann Arbor: George Wahr, 1934.
Shaw, Wilfred B.The University of Michigan. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1920.
University of Michigan Regents' Proceedings …, 1837-1864. Ed. by Isaac N. Demmon. Ann Arbor: Univ. Mich., 1915.