Torn label, bot., probably from the New York Architectural League; traces of adhesive residue from paper medallion, probably a Pewabic label, on bot.; strip of masking tape, bot., is inscribed in graphite: THE PEWABIC POTTERY/DETROIT, MICH/Founded by Mary Chase Stratton, 1903
51.5 cm x 28.2 cm x 28.2 cm (20 1/4 in. x 11 1/8 in. x 11 1/8 in.)
This is a tall vase with an oval shaped body. It has a short neck with a flat banded lip and the shoulder has a distinct, but rounded edge. It has a dark blue glaze and the upper portion has a golden iridescent color. The surface of the pottery is very rough with bumps and rough patches.
Pewabic Pottery was founded in Detroit, Michigan by Mary Chase Stratton who followed the tenets of the early 20th c. Arts and Crafts Movement. In 1907, inspired by art glass and ancient Near Eastern ceramics, she worked to create iridescent glazes, using a special reduction kiln developed by her partner, Horace J. Caulkins. She referred to her experimentation with iridescent glazes as "painting with fire." Stratton created many tonal variations of blue-glazed ware for which Pewabic Pottery became well- known.