This small bottle consists of iridescent glass with mirror-like surfaces and swirling desigsn in green and brown that evoke agate. The dark designs are in bands that grow up from the base and along the shoulder.
Henry and Lousine Havemeyer were active collectors of the hand-made, iridescent glass made by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Tiffany had been known for making leaded windows since the late 1870s, but only began to make blown-glass vessels in the early 1890s—not long after his work on the Havemeyer house in New York. Tiffany’s term for this opulent glasswork was Favrile (a term derived from the Old English work fabrile, meaning “handmade”); Tiffany obtained a patent for the richly colored and iridescent
Favrile glass in 1894.
Working with Tiffany to select outstanding pieces, the Havemeyers amassed an impressive collection of Tiffany’s Favrile glass; much of it was donated by the family to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Nearly all of the Tiffany glass in the University of Michigan’s collection was purchased at auction in 1930, along with the architectural fragments, by Emil Lorch, University of Michigan's Dean of the College of Architecture and Design.
"Reproduction rights of this photograph are reserved by the Detroit Free Press. Copying, use for publicity, publication, advertising or similar commercial purposes is forbidden without written permission."
25.4 x 20.32 cm (10 x 8 in.)
A girl on the street in a red plaid uniform holding a silver teapot.
A still life on a wood table with a white cracked wall behind. On the table are plums, some in a wicker basket and a few on the table. There is a water glass half full and a metal tankard. Behind the basket is a branch with green oval leaves.
A container with an animal (dragon) shaped head as a lid; four paws at the bottom of the container. Glazed stoneware, sculpted with teeth incisions. Tan with red spots of coloring, partiallyy covered with olive colored gloss over a high-fire red clay. Small swirl design on sides and front area has carving to indicate the front/chest of the animal, sculpted with teeth and incisions.
Blue ceramic vase with fat round bottom and a short narrow neck with a round opening at the top. Blue is flecked with white spots. Dark brown/black design near base going up the side of the case. Similar design on the neck of the vase.
A splatter painted bird cage stand with a rounded top cage on top in red, green, orange, white and blue. There is mesh on one side of the bottom of the cage that is also splatter painted. Inside the cage hanging from the top is a small bell, part of an American flag and a replica of a human penis, painted black, hanging upside down.
The ewer in this drawing is decorated with cavorting satyrs, lions, and grotesque masks.
The ewer in this drawing is embellished with a riot of satyrs in addition to lions and grotesque masks. Satyrs were followers of Bacchus, making them appropriate for a vessel made to serve wine. The extravagant decoration of the piece was a way for the artist to manifest his skill.
A red bird cage stand with a half-circle red cage on top. Inside the cage there is a plastic green, yellow and red airplane toy hanging from the top. There is a white and black figure inside the plane.
A container with a cylinder shaped body and a wide opening, it has a pattern of lines on the outer body. Dark brown coloring. Small series of lines near the top of the bowl that go all the way around. Rest of the bowl has slightly curved beveled edges that go from top ot bottom.