How to interact with this image...
- to zoom in
- double-click in the image
- use the zoom in button
- to zoom out
- shift + double-click in the image
- use the zoom out button
- to pan
- click and drag the image
- use an arrow button (e.g. ) to pan the image in that direction
- to resize frame and starting image size
- choose the appropriate size from the Image Sizes menu
- Accession Number
- Ponte del Piovan, One of the "Twenty-six Etchings," or the "Second Venice Set"
- Credit Line
- Bequest of Margaret Watson Parker
- On the plate, on bridge, r. center: Butterfly monogram Signed, in pencil, on tab: Butterfly monogram and imp.
- 23 cm x 15.2 cm (9 1/16 in. x 6 in.)
- 19th century
- Physical Description
- A brick and stone bridge crosses a canal at the center of the image. On both sides as well as behind the bridge are tall buildings that surround the bridge, creating shallow space. Several figures stand and sit on the bridge. Windows, balconies,
- Subject Matter
- The smaller canals provided Whistler with picturesque colors and textures, such as crumbling plaster walls and centuries-old stone structures. This composition shows such a back canal. The composition is congested and buildings jumble together, although at the top of the bridge and along the right side there are figures that animate the space.