How to interact with this image...
- to zoom in
- double-click in the image
- use the zoom in button
- to zoom out
- shift + double-click in the image
- use the zoom out button
- to pan
- click and drag the image
- use an arrow button (e.g. ) to pan the image in that direction
- to resize frame and starting image size
- choose the appropriate size from the Image Sizes menu
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Bequest of Margaret Watson Parker
- Signed in pencil, l.r.: butterfly Inscribed in pencil, l.r.: Agnes Collections (no mark): Mortimer Mempes; H.S. Theobald
- 27.5 cm x 19.9 cm (10 13/16 in. x 7 13/16 in.)
- 19th century
- Physical Description
- A woman sits facing the viewer, looking slightly to the right. Her hands are in her lap and she is holding a piece of fabric. The background is undescribed and her skirt is loosely drawn.
- Subject Matter
- Bridget Agnes Hiffernan was the sister of Joanna Hiffernan, Whistler's principal model during the 1860s; she later married Charles John Singleton.