THE MICHIGAN BOTANIST
EDWARD G. VOSS (1929-2012)
Anton A. Reznicek and Richard K. Rabeler
University of Michigan Herbarium
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-2228
Edward Groesbeck Voss (Fig. 1), Professor and Curator Emeritus at the University of Michigan Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and University of Michigan Herbarium, died on February 13, 2012 at his home in Ann
Arbor, after a brief illness. He was born on February 22, 1929 in Delaware,
Ohio. Ed's abilities were clear early in his life. He attended Woodward High
School in Toledo, Ohio. He received the Achievement Award as the outstanding
senior in his 1946 high school class, and was later elected to the Woodward High
Hall of Fame. He then graduated with a bachelor's degree with honors from
Denison University (1950); his undergraduate honors thesis, On the classification of the Hesperiidae, became a significant paper on Lepidoptera (Voss 1952).
He completed his education with a master's in Biology (1951) and a doctoral degree in Botany (1954), both from the University of Michigan working with
Rogers McVaugh. He was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science from Denison
University in 2003.
In 1956, he began his long association with the University of Michigan and
Michigan's flora when he was appointed as a research associate at the Herbarium, beginning what was expected to be a five-year project to document the flora
of Michigan. He joined the Botany faculty in 1960 as assistant professor and was
promoted to associate professor (1963), and later, professor (1969). He continued his painstakingly precise study of the flora of Michigan, culminating 40
years later with the publication of the third volume of the Michigan Flora in
1996; the same year that he retired and was granted Professor Emeritus status.
He also served as Curator of Vascular Plants at the Herbarium from 1961 until
his retirement in 1996 and continued to work at the herbarium until late in 2011.
Ed's research focused on the vascular plants of the Great Lakes region: their
taxonomy, phytogeography, and status in natural environments; with a particular
interest in boreal plants and aquatic plants. He maintained a small herbarium at
his cottage in Mackinaw City, but most of his collections went to the University
of Michigan Herbarium, with modest numbers also helping to build up the Biological Station herbarium. Ed founded and edited the first 15 volumes of The
Michigan Botanist and served on the Editorial Board until his death.
Ed also continued his early interest in Lepidoptera throughout his life. He collected and studied them extensively, publishing a number of articles on the Lepidoptera of the Douglas Lake region (Emmet and Cheboygan counties). He was
honored in 2011 as a founding member of the Lepidopterists' Society.
Coincident with his floristic research, Ed was a long time instructor at The
University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS). Ed began at the station in