Washington Daily Morning Chronicle, October 22, 1864. A torchlight parade ``passed through the grounds in front of the Presidential Mansion, where a large crowd had gathered, and kept up a continual blaze of light with rockets, bluelights, Roman-candles, &c., lighting up the upper windows under the portico, at which stood the President and `little Thad,' . . . After the procession had left the grounds, the crowd called loudly for the President, and he responded as follows: [text as above].''