On yesterday evening we argued and su[bmit]ted the Bank Certificate question.  I learn that Da[vis]  will probably not decide it for a week or [so] when he will send the decision down from [the] circuit. Logan entered his motion  merely [to get] satisfaction to the extent of the notes & certif[icates] received, taking no notice of the tender. [This] I suppose will test the question just a[s] well. He also thinks there may be a dif[fer]ence between notes and certificates; and therefore urged me, and I consented, that you should ascertain the exact separate am[ounts] of each, which you have received, and send it up, so that it can be got into the record. He also pressed me to agree that the certificates are in the form given in the [11?] Sec: of the Act of 1843. I agreed to this, [on] condition that my agreement should go for nothing, if the fact is really otherwise. W[e agree] on all this.
One other little matter. I am short of [funds] and intended to ask Col. Dunlap for my [fee] in the case in the U.S. court, but he lef[t sooner] than I expected. He is in no default wi[th me,] for he once mentioned the subject to me, a[nd I] passed it by. But I now need the money [and] I will take it as a favor if you will s[how] him this note & get him to send it to me. We never agreed on the amount; but I cl[aim] $50. which I suppose neither he or you will think unreasonable. Yours truly A. LINCOLN