- Fragment of yellowed woven wool fabric that has been folded and sewed along two adjacent edges. The warpwise edge was folded twice. Another large fragment of woven yellowed wool fabric was sewn on with the same rows of stitching. There are several other areas of stitches, also.
- Accession Number
- view the related artifact record
- Fabric Structure Simple
- Both fragments vary from weft-faced to weft-predominant plain weave.
- The smaller fragment was folded along two adjacent edges and sewn with overcast stitches that also attach the larger fragment. The warpwise edge was folded twice and sewn with two rows of stitches, each stitch encircling the fold. They measure from 0.3 cm to 0.8 cm long. A torn edge of the larger fragment was folded over and sewn with overcast stitches, some of which were also used to attach the two fragments. There is an overhand knot at one end. These stitches measure from 0.3 cm to 0.6 cm long. Part of another torn edge of the larger fragment was folded and sewn with two rows of overcast stitches, also. These stitches measure from 0.3 cm to 0.5 cm but as much as 1.2 cm on the other side. This sewing yarn has an overhand knot at one end. There is also a row of running stitches across the larger fragment weftwise which was used to attach the third edge of the smaller fragment. These stitches measure from 0.3 cm to 0.8 cm long. There are also a few overhand stitches at one corner of the larger fragment that measure 0.5 cm and 0.7 cm long.
- Dirty and very worn. Several interior holes in both fragments. Large edge tears. The wefts are worn in some areas leaving exposed warps. Some edge fraying.
- Border Type
- Photo Side 1
- Selvedge Type
Yarn Number 10421.WA.01 10421.WA.02 10421.WE.01 10421.WE.02 10421.YN.01 10421.YN.02 10421.YN.03 10421.YN.04 10421.YN.05 Color Dyes Identified off white/yellowed (OITHL) off white/yellowed (OITHL) off white/deeply yellowed (OITH) off white/deeply yellowed (OITH) off white/deeply yellowed (OITH) off white/yellowed (OITHL) off white/lightly yellowed (465) off white/deeply yellowed (OITH) off white/lightly yellowed (465) Count 10 10 36 38 Fiber Content wool wool wool wool wool wool wool wool wool Function warp - smaller fragment warp - larger fragment weft - smaller fragment weft - larger fragment sewing - two folded adjacent edges of small fragment sewing - fold of torn edge of larger fragment sewing - across larger fragment, attaches part of smaller sewing - another torn edge of larger frag. does not attach smaller sewing - several stitches at corner of larger frag. Spin Direction s s s s s s s s s Twist Level high med med med high high med med med Yarn Structure single single single single single, used doubled single, used doubled single, used doubled single, used doubled single, used doubled