View of Mansion House from corner; Italianate architecture; men walking on sidewalk; man wearing apron stands in doorway. Sign on building: "Bethel." In window: "Welcome, Bethel Mission." Painted on building: "Mansion House." Handwritten on back: "Old Mansion House on Bethel on N.W. cor. Atwater and Griswold, about 1880. Stamped on back: "Hall's Instantaneous Photos, Detroit, Mich." Label on back: "Mansion House. A hotel bearing the name Mansion House, the on the west side of Griswold Street near Atwater, was built and conducted by J. Hanmer, as early as 1837. On February 16, 1840, it was partially destroyed by fire. After being repaired it was kept by B.S. Farnsworth. In March 1849, John Moore became landlord, remaining until 1852. Since then it has frequently changed proprietors. Farmer, Hist. of Detroit, p. 483."
1 photographic print mounted on mat board ; image 4 x 5.5 in.
Hall's Instantaneous Photos
Filed in the BHC photo collection as D/Hotels-Mansion House
Reproduction of photograph from the Burton Historical Collection