The United States Navy sloop Marion was launched on April 24, 1839, and sailed to Brazil, where it sank at Rio de Janeiro in 1842. The ship was raised and it saw further service in the Caribbean Sea, along the African coast, and in the Mediterranean Sea. From 1861-1862, the Marion served with the Gulf Blockading Squadron under captains William H. Ball, Nathan C. Bryant, and George W. Doty. In July 1862 it became a midshipmen's practice vessel at Annapolis, Maryland. The Marion was rebuilt as a screw steamer in the early 1870s, after which it served in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, in the Bering Sea, and again as a training ship. The navy sold the ship in 1907.
Edward A. Pendexter (ca. 1843-November 18, 1870) was the son of George W. and Martha H. Pendexter of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. From 1861-1862, he served as master's mate on the sloop Marion . He received a promotion to acting ensign in December 1862 and an honorable discharge from the navy in October 1865.