William L. Clements Library
University of Michigan
Finding aid for
Finding aid created by
Lord Frederick North Army Strength Reports, 1770-1778
Philip Heslip, April 2011
Lord Frederick North Army strength reports
North, Frederick, Lord, 1732-1792
The Lord Frederick North Army strength reports are a series of confidential records from the library of Frederick North, British prime minister during the American Revolution, which contain returns of British Forces worldwide from 1772 to 1782.
The material is in English
William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu
Access and Use
The collection is open for research.
Copyright status is unknown
Cataloging funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the "We the People" project.
Lord Frederick North Army Strength Reports, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Frederick North (1732-1792) was the prime minister of Great Britain from February 1772 until his resignation in March 1782. During his tenure he oversaw the British military operations during the American Revolution. Over the course of the war, the British maintained armies in North America, the West Indies, Europe, Africa, and the East Indies, and were forced into conflict with America, France, Spain, and the Netherlands. After the British defeat at Yorktown, Parliament voted for a motion of no confidence and forced North to resign. He left office on March 20, 1782, and was succeeded by Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Lord Frederick North Army strength reports (58 volumes) are a series of confidential records from the library of Frederick North, British prime minister during the American Revolution, which contain returns of British forces from 1772 to 1782. These volumes contain records on the number of British troops and officers worldwide, including the number of troops raised in England for service in America.
- Cavalry in South Britain
- Infantry in South Britain
- Regiments & Independent Companies of Invalids
- Forces in North Britain
- Forces at Jersey
- Forces at Guernsey
- Forces on the Isle of Man
- Forces in Africa
- Forces at Gibraltar
- Forces at Minorca
- Forces in the West Indies
- Forces in North America
- Additional Companies Raising for the Infantry Serving Abroad
- Abstract (total forces)
- 1770 May-September: Regiments in Ireland
- 1773 December-1774 March: Under order from Grenada
- 1780 September-November: On the passage for the East Indies
- 1782 March: Embarked for service on the expedition with General Meadows
- Commission & Warrant
- Rank and File:
- Total Officers and Men:
- Wanting to Complete
- Contingent Men
- Great Britain. Army--Appropriations and expenditures.
- Great Britain. Army--Colonial forces.
- Great Britain--Colonies--America--Defenses.
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--British forces.
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Registers.
- West Indies--History--18th century.
- Military records.
Additional Descriptive Data