Jefferson Davis collection
Additional Descriptive Data
The Clements Library contains several collections with material related to Jefferson Davis, including correspondence and contemporary mentions of Davis (see the card catalog for details).
- The Lewis Cass papers contain six letters concerning Jefferson Davis and his wife Varina Davis:
- Davis to Cass (1855 February 24; 1857 March 10, August 3)
- Cass to Davis (1855 February 27; 1856 July 2)
- Varina Davis to Goddard (undated)
- The Clinton H. Haskell collection contains a letter from Davis to Braxton Bragg (May 29, 1861)
- The Samuel B. Morse journal contains information concerning an assassination reward for Davis
The Clements Library Book Division holds many volumes written by or related to Davis. Search the Library catalog Mirlyn for a complete list.
- Davis, Jefferson. Autobiography of Jefferson Davis. Chicago, Ill.: Belford, Clarke & co., 1890.
- Davis, Jefferson. The Rise And Fall of the Confederate Government. New York: D. Appleton and co., 1881.
Message Du Président Jefferson Davis Au Sénat Et à La Chambre Des États Confédérés le 12 Janvier 1863. Paris: Imprimerie de Dubuisson, 1863.
Message Du Président Jefferson Davis Au Sénat Et à La Chambre Des États Confédérés Le 7 Décembre 1863. Paris: Imprimerie de Dubuisson, 1864.
- Davis, Jefferson. Relations of States: Speech of the Hon. Jefferson Davis, of Mississippi, Delivered In the Senate of the United States, May 7th, 1860, On the Resolutions Submitted by Him On the 1st of March, 1860. Baltimore: John Murphy & co., 1860.