Manuscripts Division
William L. Clements Library
University of Michigan

Finding aid for
James W. Hayward Collection, 1844-1857

Finding aid created by
Meg Hixon, April 2012

Summary Information
Title: James W. Hayward collection
Creator: Hayward, James Wood, 1810-1891
Inclusive dates: 1844-1857
Bulk dates: 1846-1857
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Abstract:
This collection contains over 500 financial records concerning James Wood Hayward's dairy distribution business in Worcester and Middlesex counties, Massachusetts. These receipts, bills, and related documents relate to Hayward's purchases of large quantities of milk between 1845 and 1857.

Language: The material is in English
Repository: William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
Phone: 734-764-2347
Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu


Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

2006. M-4526.2.

Access Restrictions:

The collection is open for research.

Copyright:

Copyright status is unknown

Processing Information:

Cataloging funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC). This collection has been processed according to minimal processing procedures and may be revised, expanded, or updated in the future.

Preferred Citation:

James W. Hayward collection, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan


Arrangement

The collection is arranged chronologically, with undated items placed at the end.


Biography

James Wood Hayward, the son of James Hayward and Eunice Wood, was born in Boxborough, Massachusetts, on May 31, 1810. He had 6 siblings: Eunice, Susannah, John, Stevens, Lucy Ann, and Paul. Wood worked for his father and taught school until his mid-20s, when he began to market produce, a job he held for approximately 10 years. Around 1845, he became a dairy distributor, shipping milk from Middlesex and Worcester counties into Boston via railroad. After his career in the dairy industry, which he continued until at least 1857, he lived in West Acton, Massachusetts, where he had a farm. He and his wife, Hannah Elizabeth Conant (1818-1892), had nine children. James Wood Hayward died on September 29, 1891.


Collection Scope and Content Note

This collection contains 548 receipts, bills, and related financial records pertaining to James Wood Hayward's dairy distribution business in Worcester and Middlesex counties, Massachusetts, between 1845 and 1857.

The first item is a receipt for a payment Hayward made to Hariet [sic] and James Fletcher for 8 weeks' tuition at a local school in November 1844. The rest of the material concerns his purchase of milk from numerous venders in and around Acton, Harvard, Boxborough, and Littleton, Massachusetts. The majority of the items are receipts and, to a lesser extent, lists of purchases, all of which document the cost of the large quantities of milk Hayward bought, often by the can. A few documents record the amount of milk he and his brother, Stevens Hayward, collected from various vendors over the course of a month. Several providers, including Benjamin Houghton and Ira Banfield, appear frequently throughout the collection, though Hayward dealt with a large number of dairy farmers throughout the region.

Subject Terms

    Subjects:
    • Dairy farmers--Massachusetts.
    • Middlesex County (Mass.)
    • Milk--Prices.
    • Milk trade--United States.
    • Worcester County (Mass.)
    Genre Terms:
    • Financial records.
    • Receipts (financial records)
    Contents List
       Container / Location    Title
     
    Financial Records [series]:
    Box   1 Folder   1-37
      November 1844-March 10, 1857, and  undated
    Additional Descriptive Data
    Bibliography

    Hager, Lucie Caroline. Boxborough: A New England Town and Its People. Philadelphia: J. W. Lewis & Company, 1891.

    Morton, J. Sterling. Illustrated History of Nebraska. Volume II. Lincoln, Nebraska: Jacob North & Company, 1906.

    Wood, William S. Descendants of the Brothers Jeremiah and John Wood. Worcester, Massachusetts: Press of Charles Hamilton, 1885.