This register (500 pages) contains 250 pages of records pertaining to Edwin S. Atwood & Co., a stable that rented horses and vehicles to customers around Northeast Harbor, Maine, in the early 20th century.
Individual entries are written in pre-printed rows and columns, custom-made for Atwood; each entry is a row that spans 2 pages. Records state the driver's name, time of departure, and time of return; the horse's name and type of rented vehicle (e.g. buckboard, run about, cut [cut under], buggy, and surrey); the customer's name and pickup location; the reason for the hire; the price; and any remarks, usually about payment. Some customers paid with checks. The stable rented vehicles for local journeys, such as trips to the Episcopal Church and to the boat dock, as well as longer excursions to places like Ellsworth, a distance of about 25 miles. A few customers were referred to as "transients" or "strangers." The records cover June 11, 1910-October 9, 1910 (pp. 1-92); June 12, 1911-October 9, 1911 (pp. 93-178); and June 4, 1912-September 6, 1912 (pp. 179-250).