Additional Descriptive Data
11 photographs are housed in the Graphics Division
- Alger, Russell Alexander. The Spanish-American War. New York and London: Harper & brothers publishers, 1901.
- United States. Congress. Russell Alexander Alger (Late a Senator from Michigan). Memorial Addresses, Fifty-ninth Congress, Second Session, Senate of the United States, February 23, 1907, House of Representatives, February 24, 1907. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1907.
The following item is housed in the Map Division: Wood, Leonard. Genl. Woods Map [of the Battle of San Juan Hill] . 1898.
The Graphics Division holds a series of cameos that includes a portrait of Russell A. Alger.
- The Frank J. Hecker papers : Six letters written by, and 13 letters addressed to, Russell A. Alger, as well as a signed photograph of Alger.
- The Abraham Lincoln collection : A letter of introduction for Russell A. Alger, written by Abraham Lincoln and addressed to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, February 10, 1864.
- The Litchfield-French papers : Correspondence of Allyne C. Litchfield, who served in the 5th Michigan Cavalry with Russell A. Alger, and to Litchfield's son-in-law Roy French, who served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War.
- The Cushman K. Davis papers : Three items related to Russell A. Alger.
The Book Division holds the following item: Life of Russell Alexander Alger. [Park Place, N.Y.: Knapp & company, for Duke's cigarettes, c. 1888.]
The following printed item (located in the Russell A. Alger family papers ) has been cataloged separated: Lincoln, Abraham. Proclamation. Whereas ... it Is Provided That the President "shall Have Power to Grant Reprieves And Pardons for Offences Against the United States ..." ..: I, Abraham Lincoln ... Do Proclaim ... to All Persons Who Have ... Participated In the Existing Rebellion ... That a Full Pardon Is Hereby Granted to Them ... [Washington, D. C., 1863.]
A copy of the following book's preface was sent to Alger by the author: Carrington, Henry Beebee. Washington, the Soldier. Boston, New York: Lamson, Wolffe & company, 1898.
The Bentley Historical Library has a collection of R. A. Alger papers, related to his term as governor of Michigan.
The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center contains manuscripts related to Russell A. Alger.
The Dallas Public Library has a Bruce Alger collection .
"Alger, Russell Alexander, 1836-1907." In Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present . Washington, D.C.: United States Congress, 2002.
Bell, Rodney Ellis. "A Life of Russell Alexander Alger, 1836-1907." Dissertation. University of Michigan, 1975.
Buell, Walter. "Detroit--biographical sketches--D. Bethune Duffield, James McMillan, Russell A. Alger." Magazine of Western History Illustrated 9.1 (May 1886): 128-134.