Manuscripts Division
William L. Clements Library
University of Michigan

Finding aid for
Finding Aid for Newfoundland Office of Ordnance Record, 1790-1791

Finding aid created by
Shannon Wait, April 2010

Summary Information
Title: Newfoundland Office of Ordnance record
Creator: Newfoundland Office of Ordnance
Inclusive dates: 1790-1791
Extent: 1 volume
Abstract:
The Newfoundland Office of Ordnance record contains receipts and inventories of equipment for 1790-1791 in St. John's, Newfoundland.
Language: The material is in English
Repository: William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
Phone: 734-764-2347
Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu


Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

1937. M-354.

Access Restrictions:

The collection is open for research.

Copyright:

Copyright status is unknown

Processing Information:

Cataloging funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the "We the People" project.

Preferred Citation:

Newfoundland Office of Ordnance Record, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan


History

The British first explored Newfoundland in 1497, when John Cabot claimed it for the Tudor monarchy, but did not settle a significant population there until the late-18th century. Before 1760, only a few small planned communities and groups of seasonal fishermen populated the island, and even as the population grew and settlements became more permanent, fishing retained its supreme importance for Newfoundland's inhabitants. During the late-18th century, Newfoundland was governed by a naval governor and district magistrates. The Office of Ordnance guarded and distributed the government's military supplies, most of which had to be imported from England.


Collection Scope and Content Note

The Newfoundland Office of Ordnance record contains 61 items bound into a single volume, documenting the activity of the office in 1790-1791. Fifty-seven of the items are receipts for materials issued by Robert Bollard, the ordnance storekeeper, to various recipients, according to the orders of Capt. Thomas Skinner. Beginning in 1790, Skinner was chief engineer at Newfoundland, and thus responsible for maintaining Newfoundland's fortifications and military works. These receipts document the transfer of such supplies as turpentine, gunpowder, shovels, muskets, paint, linseed oil, and sledgehammers.

Three documents in the volume are inventories of supplies needed for ordnance stores, and an additional document is entitled "Counterpart of a Bill of Lading of Stores of the Maria," which records the supplies ordered by Bollard for the ordnance store.

Subject Terms

    Subjects:
    • Armies--Equipment.
    • Artillery--History.
    • Great Britain. Army--Royal Newfoundland Regiment.
    • Great Britain. Board of Ornance--History.
    • Military Supplies.
    • Newfoundland and Labrador--History.
    • Ordnance.
    Genre Terms:
    • Financial records.
    Contents List
    Container / Location Title
    Volume   1  
    Newfoundland Office of Ordnance record,  1790-1791 [series]
    Additional Descriptive Data
    Related Materials

    Related Collections:

    The Map Division holds many maps of Newfoundland dating to the late- 18th and early-19th centuries.

    The following are examples of other manuscript collections at the Clements Library, which contain material related to Newfoundland during this period: