Additional Descriptive Data
In addition to this finding aid, the Clements Library holds a List of Contributors.
|1742 July 27
|1774 July 20
||Marries Catherine Littlefield
|1775 May 8
||Commissioned brigadier general of the Rhode Island Army of Observation
|1775 June 22
||Commissioned brigadier general in the continental army
|1776 February 9
||Son George Washington Greene born
|1776 March 20
||Takes command of Boston
|1776 April 29
||Takes command on Long Island
|1776 August 9
||Commissioned major general in the Continental Army
|1776 September 16
||Sees first combat at the Battle of Harlem Heights
|1776 November 20
||Evacuates Fort Lee
|1776 December 26
||Battle of Trenton
|1777 January 3
||Battle of Princeton
|1777 September 11
||Battle of Brandywine Creek
|1777 October 4
||Battle of Germantown
|1778 March 2
||Commissioned quartermaster general
|1778 June 28
||Battle of Monmouth Courthouse
|1778 August 29
||Battle of Rhode Island
|1780 July 26
||Resigns from quartermaster general
|1780 October 2
||John Andre is hanged by a military court led by Greene
|1780 October 6
||Appointed commander at West Point
|1780 October 14
||Commissioned to command the Continental Army in the South
|1781 March 15
||Battle of Guilford Courthouse
|1781 April 25
||Battle of Hobkirk's Hill
|1781 May 22
||Opens siege at Fort Ninety-Six
|1781 September 8
||Battle of Eutaw Springs
||Enters Charleston, South Carolina after the British evacuation
|1783 November 27
||Returns to his family in Rhode Island
||Settles with his family on an estate in Savannah, Georgia
|1786 June 19
Other related collections include the Members of Congress collection, which contains 2 letters to Catherine Greene from Edward Rutledge (April 14, 1789, and March 23, 1791), and the Anthony Wayne family papers, which contain a letter discussing Greene's estate in Georgia (April 24, 1787).
- Chappel, Alonzo. Nath. Greene: From the Original Picture by Chappel in the Possession of the Publishers. New York: Johnson, Fry & Co., publishers, 1862.
- Chevillet, Justus, and Charles Willson Peale. Nataniel [sic] Greene, Major General in the American Armies, a Patriot, a Hero, and a Friend: Tiré Du Cabinet Du Roi De Pologne. Paris, 1780.
- Edwards, Samuel Arlent, and Charles Willson Peale. Gen. Nathaniel [sic] Greene. 1880-1938.
- Forrest, J. B. Major General Nathanael Greene. 1833.
General Green [i.e. Greene]. London: Published Augt. 12, 1785, by J. Fielding, 1785.
- Gimbrede, Thomas, and Charles Willson Peale. Majr. Genl. Nathl. Greene. 18--.
- Hall, Henry Bryan. Maj. Gen. Nathaniel [i.e. Nathanael] Greene. New York, 1872.
- Hinman, David C., and John Trumbull. Nathanael Greene. Boston: Charles C. Little and James Brown, 1846.
- Jaquemart, Jules-Ferdinand. Nathanieli Green Egregio Duci Comitia Americana: Salus Regionum Australium. 18--.
Nath. Greene . New York, 18--.
Nathanael Greene. 1924.
- Norman, John. His Excy. Nathaniel Green [i.e. Nathanael Greene], Esq., Major General of the American Army. 17--.
- Orr, John William. Major General Greene. 18--.
- Tisdale, Elkanah. Greene: From an Original Painting. 17--.
- Trenchard, James. Majr. Genl. Greene. 17--.
- Whitechurch, Robert, and Rembrandt Peale. Major General Nathaniel [i.e. Nathanael] Greene. New York: G.P. Putnam & Co., 18--.
Greene, Nathanael, and Richard K Showman. The Papers of General Nathanael Greene. Chapel Hill: Published for the Rhode Island Historical Society [by] University of North Carolina Press, 1976-2005.