William L. Clements Library
University of Michigan
Finding aid for
Finding aid created by
Beloit College Class Union Society Minutes, 1861-1866
Meg Hixon, November 2012
Beloit College Class Union Society minutes
Beloit College. Class of 1866.
The Class Union Society of Beloit College's class of 1866 met irregularly between November 20, 1861, and July 2, 1866. This volume contains the group's meeting minutes and biographical sketches of class members.
The material is in English
William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu
Access and Use
The collection is open for research.
Copyright status is unknown
Cataloging funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC). This collection has been processed according to minimal processing procedures and may be revised, expanded, or updated in the future.
Beloit College Class Union Society Minutes, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan
The members of Beloit College's class of 1866 first formally organized their Class Union Society at the Wisconsin college's preparatory school in November 1861. The society's purpose was the "advancement of the class and the better maintainance [sic] of unity." Most of the members were from Wisconsin or Illinois. In 1864, several of the students joined the Union Army for 100-day enlistments.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Class Union Society of Beloit College's class of 1866 met irregularly between November 20, 1861, and July 2, 1866. This volume contains the group's meeting minutes and biographical sketches of class members. The society's secretaries filled 81 of 131 numbered pages.
The pages numbered 1 to 57 are comprised of the group's constitution, which it adopted on November 21, 1861, and meeting minutes covering the entirety of the class's time at Beloit College. Secretaries regularly reported on administrative issues, such as the election of officers and the appointment of various committees, and on the group's activities. The class adopted a Greek motto, Νικήσομεν ("we are victorious"); discussed the possibility of procuring class photographs; and circulated a petition to reinstate two dismissed members. They also initiated social activities, such as football games against the other Beloit classes, celebrations of members' birthdays, a visit to the Rockford Female Seminary, and social engagements with women. Later entries concern the organization of a junior exhibition, commencement planning, and the purchase of memorial class trees. A note dated October 29, 1864, explains a large gap in recorded minutes resulting from the enlistment of many class members in the Union Army (pages 30-31).
Brief biographical sketches of 23 members of the Beloit College class of 1866 (including several non-graduating members) are on the pages numbered 101-131. See the additional descriptive data section of this finding aid for the names of members represented in the biographical sketches.
- Beloit College--Students.
- College students--United States.
- Students--Societies, etc.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Minute books.
Additional Descriptive Data
- Bascom, George Sparhawk, b. 1845 (page 128)
- Brown, William F., b. 1845 (page 101)
- Chadwick, Edward Sanborne, b. 1844 (page 122)
- Chamberlain, Thomas Chrowder, b. 1843 (page 130)
- Church, Albert, b. 1840 (page 124)
- Curtis, Frederick C., b. 1843 (page 103)
- Curtis, W. W., b. 1845 (page 105)
- Dearborn, Horace V., b. 1843 (page 120)
- Evans, William J., b. 1838 (page 107)
- Fitch, William Henry, b. 1843 (page 123)
- Foot, Lawrence, b. 1844 (page 129)
- Hempstead, L. R., b. 1841 (page 109)
- Lewis, John Simon, b. 1841 (page 113)
- McVein, J. H., b. 1841 (page 118)
- Nedson, Canute O., b. 1844 (page 111)
- Newhall, Edward George, b. 1844 (page 116)
- Osborne, Frank S., b. 1844 (page 131)
- Peirce, J. F., b. 1844 (page 127)
- Rose, Henry, b. 1843 (page 125)
- Sambroke, William John, b. 1846 (page 119)
- Sherratt, Thomas W., b. 1841 (page 115)
- Wright, Henry, b. 1844 (page 126)
- Wright, William, b. 1841 (page 121)