The minutebook of the Board of Trustees of the Meadville Academy records brief summaries of the minutes of meetings of the board for nearly the entire period of the existence of the school. While in most cases, these minutes provide only limited information, the board was responsible for the gamut of mundana, from building maintenance to the erection of a new building, from collecting tuition to relieving the tuition burden of those who could not afford to pay. Most importantly, one can gauge the growing ties between the private Academy and the local public school system, which eventually subsumed the Academy entirely.
The summary reports of the finances of the institution, though few in number, make it possible to trace the fortunes of the Academy, and the minutes also permit following shifts in governance and school policy in its broadest outlines. Of perhaps greatest interest are copies of the agreements between the Trustees and teachers employed at the school, however specific information on curriculum is very scant.
Laid into the minute book are three receipts issued to the Trustees of the Academy, all in 1861, a loose slip of paper recording the minutes of December 12, 1863, when the motion to transfer the Academy to the public school system was proposed, and a newspaper clipping regarding an reunion, ca.1903, of the alumni of Meadville High School, the successor to the Academy.