William L. Clements Library
University of Michigan
Finding aid for
Finding aid created by
J. M. Clinch Journal, 1901-1903
Richard C. Bates, July 2006, and Meg Hixon, January 2012
J. M. Clinch journal
Clinch, J. M.
The J. M. Clinch journal (65 pages) records the watchmaker's trips to Liverpool and London in the summers of 1901 and 1903, as well as his visits to clockmakers and to various sights around Great Britain. He noted details of the chronometer industry, kept a journal of three transatlantic sea voyages, and recorded his impressions of places he visited with his companions, Eliza and Alice, throughout England and Scotland.
The material is in English
William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu
Access and Use
The collection is open for research.
Copyright status is unknown
Cataloging funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC). This collection has been processed according to minimal processing procedures and may be revised, expanded, or updated in the future.
J. M. Clinch Journal, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan
J. M. Clinch worked as a watchmaker in Boston around the turn of the 20th century, and lived at 152 State Street. In 1901 and 1903, he traveled to England to purchase clock parts, and visited watchmakers in Liverpool and London.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The J. M. Clinch journal (65 pages) records the watchmaker's trips to Liverpool and London in the summers of 1901 and 1903, as well as his visits to clockmakers and to various sights around Great Britain. The first portion of the journal (pp. 1-22) contains records of Clinch's meetings with clockmakers in Liverpool and London from April 27, 1901 to May 6, 1901, and from May 26, 1903 to May 30, 1903. He noted his impressions of the clock making industry, then in decline, and listed his orders for parts. These are followed by several addresses and notes (pp. 19-21), and the remainder of the volume chronicles Clinch's voyages to and from Europe, as well as his leisure activities in England and Scotland. These entries are presented in several distinct sections and, though not ordered chronologically, they are dated, with those from 1901 numbered Parts I-VI. Clinch briefly related his daily activities onboard transatlantic steamers, and kept a record of his sightseeing activities and travels through England and Scotland with two female companions, Eliza and Alice. He also described a trip to the Azores, which he visited en route to Liverpool in May 1903.
- Azores--Description and travel.
- Clock and watch makers--England.
- Clock and watch makers--Massachusetts.
- Clock and watch making--Equipment and supplies.
- Liverpool (England)--Description and travel.
- London (England)--Description and travel.
- Ocean travel.
- Scotland--Description and travel.
- Transatlantic voyages.
- Financial records.
- Journals (accounts)
Additional Descriptive Data
- Pages 1-18: Liverpool and London clockmakers, April 27, 1901-May 6, 1901 and May 26, 1903-May 27, 1903
- Pages 19-21: Addresses and notes
- Page 22: Travel diary, June 2, 1903
- Pages 23-24: Travel diary, April 27, 1901-May 6, 1901 [Part I]
- Pages 25-27: Travel diary, June 18, 1901-June 27, 1901 [Part VI]
- Pages 29-33: Miscellaneous notes
- Pages 35-51: Travel diary, May 2, 1903-May 18, 1903
- [Blank Pages]
- Pages 52-53: Travel diary, June 8, 1901-June 18, 1901 [Part V]
- Pages 54-55: Travel diary, May 30, 1901-June 7, 1901 [Part IV]
- Pages 56-57: Travel diary, May 13, 1901-May 22, 1901 [Part II]
- Page 58: Travel diary, May 23, 1901-May 29, 1901 [Part III]
- Pages 59-65: Expenses