William L. Hudson letter book 1850-1851
Before the American Revolution, the land claimed by Connecticut stretched west to the Mississippi River, and included parts of Pennsylvania and New York. In 1786, Connecticut yielded most of its land claims in present-day Ohio to the United States government, but retained the northeast corner, which became known as the Western Reserve. The Reserve (so-called because it was "reserved" for the settlement of Connecticut citizens) was approximately 120 miles wide, bordered by Lake Erie to the north, Pennsylvania to the east, and stretching west to present-day Sandusky, Ohio. In 1795, Connecticut sold the land to venture capitalists of the Connecticut Land Company, for $1,200,000. The Company sent a party, headed by Moses Cleveland, to survey the state in 1796, and Connecticut residents soon flocked to area, which became known as "New Connecticut." The area was incorporated into the newly-formed state of Ohio when it achieved statehood in 1803.