Helen Curtis Annan journal
Dr. Henry Foster was born in Vermont in January 1821 and moved to Sulphur Springs (later Clifton Springs), New York, around 1850. In 1856, he established the Clifton Springs Sanitarium, which offered traditional sanitarium treatments in combination with religious practices. In 1881, he turned over control of the sanitarium to a board of thirteen trustees, though he remained its superintendent and treasurer until his death on January 15, 1901. The sanitarium employed 7 physicians (including one woman) in 1892 and by this time had established its own farm, which helped provide food for its patients. It later became the Clifton Springs Hospital & Clinic, and its main building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.