Sacandaga Turnpike and Bridge Company record book
The first private turnpike in the United States opened in Pennsylvania in 1794, sparking the development of many such ventures. One was Sacandaga Turnpike and Bridge Company, which was incorporated in 1812 in Schenectady, New York. The company built and maintained several roads and bridges in Schenectady and Scotia, New York. Supported by public stock subscription, it charged tolls for use of the turnpike and paid dividends to its stockholders. In 1814, the Board of Directors elected James Boyd as president and James Bailey as treasurer. The company was active until at least 1819.