Collection Scope and Content Note
Show all series level scope and content notes
This log book (93 pages) contains entries regarding multiple voyages of the ships Moro Castle and Southern Rights between the United States and Europe from 1860-1867.
Under W. L. Knowles, the Moro Castle traveled between New York and Bristol, England, from October 5, 1860-May 26, 1861. The volume also regards voyages between United States and European ports from August 1862-February 1864. Log entries typically report information about the ship's course, the use of sails, and the weather. The author occasionally mentioned crew members, including "green" sailor William Andrewson, who later deserted (October 12, 1860, and October 27-28, 1860); Thomas Brooks, who fell overboard (December 7, 1860); and the ship's cook, who appeared to have a mental breakdown (March 5, 1861). While in port, the Moro Castle discharged cargo, usually wheat. Earlier entries include partially completed hourly charts reporting wind speed, the ship's course, and similar information; later "abstract log" entries consist solely of prose.
The latter part of the volume contains the brief logs of several voyages of the Southern Rights between the United States and Europe. These entries are similar to those of the Moro Castle and appear to be written in the same hand as the later Moro Castle records. The author most frequently documented weather conditions, but also reported the crew's harsh language in an entry dated June 23, 1863, and a crew member's case of "sulks" in an entry dated February 10, 1864. The final pages include a short extract from William Shakespeare's poem "Venus and Adonis" and brief financial records.
- October 5, 1860-May 26, 1861: New York to Bristol, England, and back to New York (including entries made during time in port)
- August 30, 1862-September 23, 1862: [Mediterranean Sea] to Atlantic Ocean
- March 24, 1863-April 6, 1863: New Orleans, Louisiana, to New York
- June 23, 1863-July 23, 1863: New York to Glasgow, Scotland
- January 5, 1864, and February 4, 1864-February 24, 1864: Leghorn, Italy, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- March 15, 1865-March 28, 1865: Shields, [England], to Atlantic Ocean
- February 28, 1866-March 11, 1866: Charleston, South Carolina, to Liverpool, England
- April 6, 1867-April 7, 1867: Charleston, South Carolina, to Liverpool, England