The village of Perkinsville is located at the present crossroads of Quarry Road and Route 106 in the western part of the town of Weathersfield, Vermont. Situated on the Black River, Perkinsville was an ideal site for industry in its early years of development. Water powered its many lumber, flour, and wool mills.
In 1788, a committee divided the town of Weatherfield into 10 school districts. By 1830, this number rose to 13. Each district was considered a legal entity and oversaw its own operations. A prudential committee called meetings, hired teachers, secured firewood to heat the schoolhouse, and tended to the repair and upkeep of the facility. Prudential committees had their own clerks responsible for keeping school records.
Prudential committees also determined the number of weeks for each school term. Each school year included two terms, one summer term and a longer term for winter. A shorter summer term freed older children to work during the planting and harvesting months.
Around 1829, a three-person Superintending Committee of elected members approved persons for teaching positons and visited each of the district schools at least once per term. Separate prudential committees were retained for each district.
The 1st District School of Perkinsville was known as District 11 until 1808. Class was held in a one-room brick building, constructed in 1812. The school grounds included a wood shed and a necessary house (outhouse restroom). The building was heated by a fireplace or a wood-burning stove during the winter months. Town denizens supplied a half cord of wood for each child per household. Firewood supplied by voters served as school taxes.
In 1879, the Perkinsville school house was demolished. It was replaced by a second brick school in the same location as the original building. It still stands along Route 106 as of 2015.