The Zonta Club of Mount Pleasant, Michigan, was chartered on Saturday, November 15, 1952. The club was organized by the Zonta Club of Midland. Both clubs are part of Zonta International, a professional business women’s community service organization. Charles L. Anspach, then President of Central Michigan College, was the evening’s speaker. His topic was “Women’s Heritage and Women’s Responsibility to the Community."
Members were chosen as leading female representatives of various professions. The first officers included: Mrs. Pauling G. Fleming (retail gifts), president; Mrs. Edna Shangle (government), vice-president; Mrs. Marian Sleight (publishing services), treasurer; and Peg Conway (government), secretary. Members were initiated in October 1952 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Fund raising activities of the Zonta members include bake sales, bazaars, candy sales, Applefests, and Trunk ‘N’ Treasure raffles. Their service to the community has included and includes: babysitting classes, the purchase of a building for the Isabella County day care, establishing the Children’s Zoo at Nelson Park, support of the Red Cross and the handicapped, and purchase of needed hospital supplies, among others. Through the Zonta International Club, the local clubs have supported graduate scholarships in aeronautical engineering in honor of Zonta member Amelia Earhart.