This collection, 6.25 cubic feet (in 14 boxes) 1849-1925, and undated, was donated over a period of time by one or both of the Trelfa brothers and is divided into six series. The series were established by accession number and topic matter. For a more detailed listing see the Box and Folder Listing. Overall the collection is in good physical condition.
Series 3 consists of 2.00 cubic ft. (in 4 boxes) and has no Acc# or related names. The collection consists almost entirely of glass-plate negatives, but also includes 8 film negatives and notes. The negatives vary in size. Some of the negatives or accompanying notes date the majority of the images from the 1860s-1889. Some of the original sleeves of the plates in Boxes 1-3 noted “See Boulton album.” Topics in Box 1 include views of Alpena including streets, buildings, homes, Camp Alger, Thunder Bay Island, Island Lake, and Oxbow, as well as logs, sailboat, and life saving boat. Box 2 topics include Alpena, Rapid City (Antrim County), buildings, dam, bridge, river, railroad images, boat, fairgrounds, baseball, etc. Box 3 images also include Alpena and Rapid City images as well as some of Mackinac Island, including people, buildings, streets, race, sports, fairgrounds, etc. Box 4 covers the same topic matter as Boxes 2-3 and also includes images of Professor Crocker’s Educated Horses.