Clarke Historical Library
Central Michigan University

Finding aid for
Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.) Organizational records

Finding aid created by
Marian Matyn

Summary Information
Title: Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.) Organizational records,
Creator: Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.)
Inclusive dates: 1880-1992, and undated
Extent: approximately 1 cubic feet (in 1 box, 2 Oversized volumes)
Abstract:
The collection consists of the organizational records of the church including legal documents, meeting minutes, financial records, membership records, and other materials.

Call number: MSS.
Language: The material is in English
Repository: Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University
250 East Preston Street
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: 989-774-3352
Fax: 989-774-2160
Email: clarke@cmich.edu
Website: http://clarke.cmich.edu


Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

No Acc#

Access Restrictions:

Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.) Organizational records are open for research.

Copyright:

Copyright has been transferred to the Clarke Historical Library.

Preferred Citation:

Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.) Organizational records, Folder # , Box #, Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University


Arrangement

Arrangement is by size, then alphabetical and chronological.


History

Organizational History:

The first Presbyterian services were held at the McKnight School, a log schoolhouse located one mile south of Rosebush, Michigan. On March 17, 1880 the church was organized and called the Calkinsville Presbyterian Church. In 1902 the name was changed to the Rosebush Presbyterian Church. The first minister was Rev. Luke Nott, pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. In 1881-1882, a small group of Presbyterians decided to build a church building. The land for the church was donated by Jonah Archer. Most of the building material was donated and built by church members, with help from carpenters, friends, and other members of the community. The church was dedicated on July 15, 1883 by Rev. E. G. Cheesman of the Presbyterian Church of Mount Pleasant, who served as moderator.

Over the years, pastors from Mount Pleasant and Coleman, Michigan, and student pastors from Alma College acted as the pastors for the church in Rosebush. The first resident pastor was Rev. James W. Dallas, 1897-1901. During his time, the tower was built and the bell purchased. In 1931, when Paul K. Heberlein was a student pastor, the basement was built, stained glass windows and electric lights were installed, choir chairs and a piano were purchased, and a rostrum was built. The Willing Workers of the Presbyterian Church was largely responsible for the raising of the necessary funds. In 1939, an addition was added to the basement and a new Sunday School room was built. In April 1948 the manse was purchased. It was dedicated on June 20, 1948. (This information is from the collection.)


Collection Scope and Content Note

The collection nicely documents the history of this small church. There is no personal information about the pastors or members except for birth, marriage, and death dates.

The Certificates of Dismission and Reception is a record of members who joined or left the church with names and dates. The Church Registers include lists of pastors, deacons, communicants, members who were baptized, marriages, and deaths in the church, with names and dates. Most of the remaining volumes include minutes for the church’s annual membership meetings, board of trustee meetings, or the meetings of various church organizations. Correspondence and miscellaneous papers are very miscellaneous and scattered.

Researcher Note: A number of the papers and volumes in the collection have suffered water, mud, or mold damage. The collection should be used with care by researchers with allergies and because of the fragility of a number of the volumes due to rotting and severe acidification of the pages and covers.

Subject Terms

    Subjects:
    • Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.)
    • Presbyterian Church--History.
    • Presbyterian Church--Hymns.
    • Presbyterian Church--Michigan--Isabella County.
    • Presbyterian Church--Michigan--Rosebush.
    • Rosebush (Mich.)--Church history.
    • Isabella County (Mich.)--History.
    Contents List
       Container / Location    Title
     
    Rosebush Presbyterian Church (Rosebush, Mich.) Organizational records. [series]:
    Box   1 F   1
    Abstract of Title, 1979
    Box   1 F   2
    Anthem Worship (a hymnbook), 1907
    Box   1 F   3
    Centennial Booklet, 1980
    Box   1 F   4
    Church Directory (draft) and Computer Disc, 1992
    Box   1 F   5
    Church Messenger (directory, fragile and dusty), 1951
    Box   1 F   6
    Correspondence re: Church Supplies and Repairs, 1961-1966; Boiler Inspection Report, 1972, 1961-1966, 1972
    Box   1 F   7
    Incorporation Papers, 1955, 1964-1972
    Box   1 F   8
    Insurance Papers, 1960-1972
    Box   1 F   9
    Legal Documents and Correspondence re: Estate of Lucile I. Hislop, 1994, 1986
    Box   1 F   10
    Miscellaneous Correspondence, Reports, Papers, 1971-1992, undated
    Box   1 F   11
    Newsletter, 1986
    Box   1 F   12
    Topographical Survey of Church (badly water damaged), 1979; Construction Proposal, 1965, 1965, 1979
    V   1  
    Volume, Annual Meeting Minutes (fragile), 1887-1944
    V   2  
    Volume, Board of Trustees [Meeting] Minutes; loose Minutes, January 23, 1956-January 22, 1973; August 2, 1973
    V   3  
    Volume, By-laws of Church, Congregational and Board of Trustees Minutes, 1949-1956
    V   4  
    Volume, Minutes of Session; Church Register, March 7, 1880-December 8, 1959; 1880-1966
    V   5  
    Volume, Minutes of Session; Ordination Service Bulletin for Robert Lee Bellinger, January 25, 1960-August 18, 1977; June 15, 1980
    V   6  
    Volume, New Church Register, 1967-1979
    V   7  
    Volume, Treasurer's Book (mostly loose receipts, fragile, dirty), 1896, 1943-1949
    V   8  
    Volume, Willing Workers of the Presbyterian Church Meeting Minutes, Constitution, and By-laws; Reports, 1925-1932; 1925-1934
    V   9  
    Volume, Women's Association, Treasurer's Book, 1982-1989
    V   10  
    Oversized Volume, Certificates of Dismission and Reception; Related Correspondence, 1960-1992; 1970-1991
    V   11  
    Oversized Volume, Women's Association, Treasurers's Book, 1952-1981