Frank E. Robinson was born on December 27, 1877 in Orleans, Ionia County, Michigan, the son of Ebenezer and Atheda Robinson. He attended Ferris Institute from 1898-1899 and graduated from Central State Teachers College (CSTC, later Central Michigan University) in 1900.
On June 12, 1901 he married Laura A. Wiley, his Ferris sweetheart. Eventually they had six sons, all of whom graduated from CTSC: Roy E. (January 3, 1907-January 11, 1973), Laurence, Charles, Paul, Homer, and Francis A.
After graduating, Frank served as County Supervisor of Branch County Michigan Schools, 1911-1916. In 1916 he joined the faculty of CSTC. In 1948, he retired as head of the Department of Commerce after 32 years of service. Robinson Hall and Robinson Dining Commons are named in his honor.
Interested in politics, he served on the Mount Pleasant City Commission; was chair of the Isabella County Republican Committee, 1932-1944; and Mayor of Mount Pleasant, 1941-1944. He ran unsuccessfully for the Michigan Senate in 1948 and 1950. He was active in the First Methodist Church, preaching and teaching Bible study. Following months of illness and surgery, he died on April 27, 1951 in Mount Pleasant.
Laura A. Wiley was born in California in 1875, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Wiley. She attended Ferris Institute from 1898-1899 and taught in rural schools before marrying Frank E. Robinson in 1901. In between having six sons, she attended CSTC courses in 1904, 1905, and 1923. In 1943, after all of the boys graduated, she re-entered CSTC at the age of 68. She was recognized in 1961 for 50 years of service to the YWCA. Like her husband, she was active in the First Methodist Church. Her death date is unknown. (This information is from the collection.)