Gerald L. Poor was born in Waldron, Michigan, on March 17, 1907. He earned an A.B. degree from Olivet College and both a Master of Arts degree and a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Michigan. Poor served as a faculty member at Central Michigan University (CMU), 1943-1973. He was considered one of CMU’s most esteemed educators.
Poor served as a visiting lecturer at Eastern Michigan University, Western Michigan University, Northern Michigan University, the University of Colorado, and Edge College, in England. In 1965 he was honored as Olivet College’s distinguished alumnus and received the Phi Delta Kappa service award.
Dr. Poor was a former president of Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Delta Kappa and was also the author of several books and numerous professional articles. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Mt. Pleasant and was a local civic leader.
He was twice honored with CMU’s senior thanks award and served as grand marshal of CMU’s 1973 homecoming parade. He was awarded Professor Emeritus status from CMU when he retired in 1973. At that time, a scholarship was begun at CMU in his name. In November 1973, the CMU Board of Trustees named the one-room schoolhouse, located just off campus, after him.
On May 17, 1975, Dr. Poor died in Mount Pleasant. He was survived by his wife Inez; his mother, Mrs. Blanch Poor; one daughter, Mary Elizabeth; two brothers; Charles and Gordon; and a sister, Mrs. Marge Griffin, the wife of Senator Robert P. Griffin. A copy of Poor’s obituary from the Mt. Pleasant Daily Times-News, May 19, 1975 is included in the Biographical Materials folder. His books are listed in CMU’s Catalog.