Charles Wakeman Marvin was born in Sharon Township (Richland County, Ohio) on April 15, 1824, the son of Stephen and Sarah B. (Sherwood) Marvin. After getting his education, Charles assisted his father who was a tanner and currier.
In the winter of 1845-1846, Charles taught school and later read medicine with Dr. H. O. Mack. Charles graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College at Cleveland (Ohio) in 1851. He practiced medicine at Johnsville, Freeport, and Perrysburg (Ohio).
Dr. Marvin moved to Gratiot County, Michigan, in 1860, becoming the first physician in Ithaca. He worked as a doctor until 1886.
In Ithaca, he became involved with educational matters. Dr. Marvin served as a school trustee (1863-1886) and as Director of the school board.
Dr. Marvin was commissioned as an Assistant Surgeon of the 26th Michigan Infantry on June 27, 1864. He was honorably discharged on June 4, 1865. Afterwards, he was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Moses Wisner Post. Dr. Marvin was also a charter member and officer of the Ithaca Cemetery.
On December 18, 1857 Dr. Marvin married Martha J. Brooke (September 27, 1827-September 14, 1909). Together, they had four children: Louis J.; (Stephen) Seymour S. (1861-1867); Ella D. (Sarah Ellen) “Topsy;” and Burr.
In 1886, Dr. Marvin retired to his farm in Newark Township, Illinois, for several years, he died on Sunday, April 27, 1902 at home. He was buried by his fellow GAR members.
Louis John Marvin (May 29, 1859- ) taught in various districts in Gratiot County, Michigan, and in the first English school in Frankenmuth, Michigan (1882). In 1883, he worked on a ranch in Leon Springs, Texas. He served as deputy county clerk and clerk of Newark Township. After his father’s death, Louis farmed at the family homestead. In 1903, he was a delegate to the Republican County Convention.
Ella D. (Sarah Ellen) ‘Topsy” Marvin (October 23, 1866- ) graduated from Ithaca Public Schools in 1887 and Central Michigan Normal School (now Central Michigan University) in 1890?. She taught for several years in Muskegon, Ithaca, Cassopolis, Grayling, Farwell, and Breckenridge. Ella also taught in Marywood, Illinois, 1901-1910, after which she returned to the family farm.
Burr Marvin (July 7, 1871- ) graduated from Ithaca Public Schools in 1891, studied for two years at Alma College, and took a business course in Saginaw, Michigan. He worked for the Pere Marquette Railroad County in Saginaw and Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1906. Afterwards, he also returned to the family farm. (All of the above information is from the collection.)