Clarke Historical Library
Central Michigan University

Finding aid for
First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) Organizational records

Finding aid created by
Marian Matyn

Summary Information
Title: First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) Organizational records
Creator: First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.)
Inclusive dates: 1839, 1991, and undated
Extent: .25 cubic foot (in 1 box)
Abstract:
Organizational records include reports, meeting minutes, legal papers, birth records, programs, and materials related to the establishment of the church.

Call number: MSS.
Language: The material is in English
Repository: Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University
250 East Preston Street
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: 989-774-3352
Fax: 989-774-2160
Email: clarke@cmich.edu
Website: http://clarke.cmich.edu


Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

Acc# 935, 2684

Access Restrictions:

First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) Organizational records are open for research.

Copyright:

Copyright is unknown.

Preferred Citation:

First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) Organizational records, Folder # , Box #, Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University


Arrangement

Arrangement is alphabetical, and then chronological.


History

Organizational History:

The First United Methodist Church of Mount Pleasant, Michigan, started with the “Chippewa Circuit” formed in 1861 by the Methodist-Episcopal church to minister to the Isabella County, Michigan, area. The first minister was Rev. R. P. Sheldon. Rev. George Bradley was the first presiding elder.

The Chippewa Circuit was later divided into smaller units, one being named the Mount Pleasant Circuit in 1870.

The first church building was dedicated in 1866, Rev. Dr. George B. Jocelyn (or Joslyn), President of Albion College, addressed the congregation with Rev. F. B. Bangs of Lansing, Michigan. In 1881, the church was traded for a new site. A new church was built on the corner of Main and Wisconsin streets. The cornerstone laying was held on July 1, 1882. The first services were held on May 6, 1883 with elder Sprague and Rev. D. F. Barnes. The church was known for its large size, acoustic properties, and bell.

The congregation originally joined a union Sunday, but later organized its own church school in 1868. (This information is from Brief Histories of the Churches of Mount Pleasant (1958).

The church is now called the First United Methodist Church of Mount Pleasant. The current church was built in 1961 at 400 South Main Street.


Collection Scope and Content Note

The collection includes reports and meeting minutes of the Board of Trustees and the Quarterly Conference, various legal papers, the pastor’s quarterly reports, birth records, 1839-1880, and other materials related to the establishment of the church.

Subject Terms

    Subjects:
    • First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.)
    • Mount Pleasant (Mich.)--History.
    • Mount Pleasant (Mich.)--Church history.
    Contents List
       Container / Location    Title
     
    First United Methodist Church (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) Organizational records. [series]:
    Box   1 F   1
    Articles of Association, 1902, 1930 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   2
    Birth Records, 1839-1880
    Box   1 F   3
    Board of Trustees, Election Certificates, 1863, 1899 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   3
    Board of Trustees, Meeting Minutes, 1833, 1939, undated (scattered)
    Box   1 F   4
    Certificates of Organization, 1888, 1894 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   5
    Financial Reports, 1882, 1947 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   6
    Legal Papers, 1882, 1939 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   7
    Miscellaneous Materials, 1961, 1964, undated (scattered)
    Box   1 F   8
    Pastor’s Quarterly Reports, 1876, 1885 (scattered)
    Box   1 F   9
    Programs, 1945, 1991
    Box   1 F   10
    Quarterly Conferences, Meeting Minutes, 1878-1879
    Box   1 F   11
    Quarterly Conferences, Resolution, 1938
    Box   1 F   12
    Sisterhood Sunday School Program, 1923-1924