The Clarke Historical Library was founded in 1954 through a gift from Dr. Norman E. Clarke, Sr., to his alma mater, Central Michigan University. Dr. Clarke was a book collector of unusual insight and breadth. His collection was created, in his own words, to “Portray the lives, the thoughts, and the culture of the pioneer people to whom we owe so much.” The collection includes materials documenting the history of: Michigan and the Old Northwest, children’s literature and art, the history of Central Michigan University, Strangite Mormons, Michigan Native Americans, and much more.
For more information on Dr. Clarke see the finding aid for his collection.
Annual reports after 1993/1994 and newsletters are now cataloged as books and so are not in this manuscript collection.