The Paul Bunyan Council No. 259 of Midland, Michigan, was chartered in 1951 and included the Michigan counties of Arenac, Crawford, Gladwin, Iosco, Midland, Ogemaw, and Roscommon. It was then subdivided into three districts, Au Sable, Chippewa, and the Pines, each with a volunteer district committee. There was also a paid District Executive. By 1969, about 125 member Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, and Explorer posts were sponsored by local organizations with help from nearly 1400 volunteer leaders. The council functioned at least until 1971, when it was merged into the Lake Huron Area Council No. 265.
In late 1959, 640 acres of land in Oscoda County, Michigan, was purchased from Two Lakes Hunt and Fish Club to be used as a Boy Scout Reservation (Camp), later called Paul Bunyan Scout Reservation (P. B. S. R.). Most of the money to purchase the land was donated by Alden B. Dow of Midland. Scouts hoped that eventually the camp would function as a year-round training facility for men and boys.
Arthur E. Henry served as the Council’s Scout Executive during the 1960s. He was from Midland. Henry retired as professional advisor to the Order of the Arrow on September 14, 1974. (This information is from the collection.)