The Bay View Association of the Methodist Church, in Bay View (Mich.), was founded in 1876 as a Methodist camp meeting. From 1885 to 1915, the community was adapted as an independent Chautauqua, with the country’s only romantically planned campground (resort).
The religiously oriented summer community consists of 437 privately owned cottages; 2 hotels; and 29 additional structures, which belong to the Association. The Association owns the land and governs the community. The 338-acre tract includes curving streets and beautifully maintained Victorian cottages.
The Association was added as a National Historic Landmark on December 23, 1987, to the National Register on March 16, 1972, and to the State Register of Historic Buildings on June 5, 1957. The Association continues to thrive to this day. (This information is from the Association’s website.)