The Arivaca Milling, Mining, and Commercial Company (AMM and C Co.) was incorporated on March 28, 1878 by John W. Dunn, George P. Reed, and William H. H. Witherell in Jefferson City, Missouri. In 1881, the company’s name was changed to Arivaca Mill Company. The company mined for silver, copper, and gold near Arivaca, Arizona, 1878-1885.
William H. H. Witherell was a lawyer in New Orleans, Louisiana. According to his 1870 unsigned will, he had his “present wife” Catherine E., and daughters, Florence, Elizabeth, and Emma Cecilia. From 1856 to 1860, he was in business with Robeson, Dennett, and Witherell in New Orleans. In 1880, he was President of the AMM and C Co.
William F. (Frank) Witherell was probably William H. H. Witherell’s cousin. He was a New York (State) native. He attended Clinton Liberal Institute in Clinton, New York, and was a West Point cadet. After the Civil War, he was associated with Witherell and Company, New Orleans Commission Merchants. The Clarke Historical Library has a booklet he wrote, Arizona as a silver country, (1878). [His letters and one from William H. H. Witherell are in the Louisiana State University Archives.]