Notes on most of the original sleeves for the smaller glass-plate negatives indicate that the images were originally owned by Otto Supe of Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, and in 1938 by Gordon Daun. It is possible that Supe collected the images, some of which date to 1895 or 1896 through the 1930s, or that he was the original photographer.
According to the federal census for Michigan, 1870-1880 and 1900-1910, Otto was the son of Charles Supe, a produce merchant or wholesale grocer in Bay City, Michigan, between 1870 and 1880, and his wife, Caroline. Both Charles and Caroline were from Prussia. They had several children: Charles (b. 1863), Otto (b. Sept. 1864 or 1865), Caroline (b. 1869, d. before 1879), Gustanrs (Gustave?) (b. 1867), and a second daughter named Caroline (b. 1880). Two of the smaller negatives in the collection document a view of O. Supe’s Store (groceries and jewelry) built in 1887 on Portage Avenue, near Ferris Street, in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan. Apparently, Otto had moved and built a store by 1887. There is no 1890 census for Michigan. In 1893, Otto married Hadie W. Ellis (b. 1872), the daughter of David Ellis. They lived in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, at least through 1920. Together Otto and Hadie had several children: Margarete C., (b. July 1894), Ottilee or Attilee C. (b. July 1897), and Hadie C. (b. 1910). Otto’s father-in-law, David Ellis, lived with the family from 1900 through at least 1910. The family is not listed in the 1930 census. Hadie, the wife, died in 1924. A brief notice of her death appears in the St. Ignace Enterprise, August 7, 1924, p. 1, and notes that Hadie was a native of the city and that her husband was the mayor of Sault Sainte Marie. Hadie died after suffering for three years from paralysis.