Originally established as a mission in 1876, St. John’s Episcopal Church is the oldest still standing and active place of worship in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Construction of the building began in 1882. The church has a historic marker and is listed on the register of Michigan historical sites. The building underwent extensive restoration and renovations in 1990 through 1996.
The Center for Christian Spirituality was established at St. John’s in 2008 for the purpose of helping people develop a deeper relationship with God. Funding and support came from St. John’s vestry, the diocese, and other private sources. The center reached out to and worked with other faith groups in the Mount Pleasant community. Henry Fulton served as the first chair. Various workshops and presentations sponsored and arranged included quiet days for laity and clergy, Celtic Christianity, Aging and Spirituality, Native American spirituality, Spirituality and Work, and a study of Handel’s Messiah, among others.
In 2009 St. John’s celebrated its 125th anniversary with the establishment of an anniversary committee, various special events including religious celebrations, a visit from the bishop and a historical reenactment of the consecration of the church building, musical events, historical research and presentations, specially commissioned music, a cookbook, a new directory of members, and oral histories of members of the church and community, a special anniversary dinner, an ice cream social for the community, and other events.