- Title marc245
- Nouvelle Mappe Monde dediee au progres de nos connoissances / Francois Santini.
- Main Entry - Personal Name marc100
- Santini, Francesco.
- Published marc260
- Venise : Chez Francois Santini, 
- Description marc300
- 1 map : col. ; 2 hemispheres each 31,2 cm. in diam., on sheet 53 x 72 cm.
- Note marc500
- "A Venise Chez Francois Santini, rue Ste. Justine pres la dite Eglise."
- A 'view from space' of the earth's hemispheres; the hemispheres selected are the maritime and terrestrial hemispheres, or 'water' and 'land' hemispheres.
- This map is quite rare in having the land and water hemispheres as the main subject; these are usually supplementing polar or equatorial views of the world.
- Probably from Paolo Santini's Atlas Universel, between 1776 and 1781.
- Includes 350-word commentary on why the oblique south polar and north polar views were chosen. The terrestrial hemisphere, we are told, is not centred on Paris and the Paris meridian purely for patriotic reasons, but according to scientific principles.
- Subject Added Entry - Topical Term marc650
- World maps To 1800.
- Map Data marc255
- Scale [ca. 1:64,000,000]. (W 180°00'00"--E 180°00'00"/N 90°00'00"--S 90°00'00")
- Coded Cartographic Mathematical Data marc034
- a 64000000 W1800000 E1800000 N0900000 S0900000
- Local note marc590
- Accession no. 8720.
- Preservation no. 2009.073.
1241 images/descriptions are openly available.
This map is in the public domain. Please attribute access and use of this digitized map to the Stephen S. Clark Library, University of Michigan Library.
- Add to Portfolio