Access and Use
The records were acquired in several accessions, 1990 and ongoing, primarily through Bruce Madej and later through the Meid Relations Office. (Accession no. 1776
The records are open for research use with the exception of boxes 52-53 which include some material subject to FERPA.
Access Restrictions for University of Michigan Records
University records are public records and once fully processed are generally open to research use. Records that contain personally identifiable information will be restricted in order to protect individual privacy. Certain administrative records are restricted in accordance with university policy as outlined below. The restriction of university records is subject to compliance with applicable laws, including the Freedom of Information Act.
Categories of Restricted Records:
- Personnel related files , including search, review, promotion, and tenure files, are restricted for thirty years from date of creation.
- Student educational records are restricted for seventy-five years from date of creation.
- Patient/client records are restricted for one-hundred years from date of creation.
- Executive Officers, Deans and Directors files . By university records policy in effect as of January 1, 2001, University records generated by the university's Executive Officers, Deans, Directors and their support offices are restricted for a period of twenty years from their date of accession by the Bentley Historical Library. The restriction is subject to applicable law, most notably the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Files restricted for 10 years -- records added to a record group in this category prior to January 1, 2001 are restricted for a period of ten years from the date of creation
- Files restricted for 20 years -- records added to a record group in this category after January 1, 2001 are restricted for a period of 20 years from the date they were added to the record group.
Restricted files are indicated in the contents list with a restriction note indicating the restriction type and the date of expiration.
- CR (Client/Patient records, 100 years from date of creation)
- PR (Personnel related records, 30 years from date of creation)
- SR (Student educational records, 75 years from date of creation)
- ER (Executive Officers, Deans and Directors records, 20 years from the date the material added to the record group)
For further information on the restriction policy and placing FOIA requests for restricted material, consult the reference archivist at the Bentley Historical Library or the University of Michigan Freedom of Information Office website at: http://www.umich.edu/~urel/foia.html
Copyright to materials produced by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is held by the regents of the university or the department. The department records include occasional photographs produced by outside photographers. Copyright to these items may be held by the original photographer.
Photographs, film and video, and other material from the Athletic Department records used for broadcasts, multimedia products, publications or other commercial products may be subject to licensing fees and regulations by the University of Michigan Athletic Department. Consult the Bentley Historical Library reference archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org, 734-764-3482) or the Athletic Department Licensing Office (734-763-4183)
item, folder title, box no., Athletic Department (University of Michigan) Records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan