Irving Kane and Allen B. Pond, architects. Plans for the Union were on a scale unknown at the time for "club houses" in American colleges and universities: 250 feet long and 200 feet wide. Construction began in 1916 and owing to war time difficulties was not ready to be used by students until 1919. Two new wings to the south were completed in 1936 and 1938. Another addition was begun 1954-55. Verso: 7627 MICHIGAN UNION BLDG., University of Michigan., Ann Arbor Facing the passage way between tap room and adjoining room, showing matching of tiles with those facing steam table. Substitute following caption for the above: Michigan Union Bldg., University of Mich., Ann Arbor Magnesium oxychloride pressed tile used for wainscot of passage between old and new tap room and as facing of steam table. Note match of color and pattern of these tile with the original ceramic tile shown on wall through the doorway. On image: 7627
First medical building, built 1850, addition in 1864, used until West Medical was completed in 1903. Fire in 1911 destroyed west half, remainder, including portico, razed in 1914. Note students in the foreground.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
On verso: Michigan Daily. Press release attached: Harmon Signs Soldier Vote Petition. Lt. Tom Harmon is shown signing a petition presented by Belle Rosenthal, calling for a federal soldier vote bill, before he delivered his lecture (The War Front Reports to the Home Front), Wednesday for the Post-War Council. The petition with signatures collected by various students was telegraphed by Michigan Youth for Democratic Action to Rep. Earl Michener.