Regents purchased south ten acres for $3000 in 1890. In 1902 UM received seven acres of land to the north from Dexter M. Ferry; became Ferry Field. In 1904 brick wall constructed on three sides and in 1906 gate and ticket office at northeast corner added (gift of Mr. Ferry). Wooden stands to accommodate 400 put up in 1893; burned in 1895. Rebuilt to seat 800 with later additions to facililties. By 1914, 13,600 accommodated. New stadium built in 1927. Stamp on verso: Ivory Photo
UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. University Hall; Interiors. Auditorium and Frieze Memorial Organ. no. 306
Jenison, Edward S., architect. University Hall was built in 1872; the auditorium completed in 1873. Prior to this time there was no place on campus where students and faculty could assemble. New opera seats were put in during Christmas 1896 at the same time the new dome was installed.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
A duplicate print of this image is located in Bentley Historical Library record group, Box 10, folder: Daybook, Image #30. Note on back of duplicate print states that "Original image was a slide acquired from Roger Sutton of UM News & Information Services."