Campus Center and Library -- University of Michigan [From an etching]
Wilfred B. Shaw Papers
Shaw, Wilfred B., 1880-1959.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Shaw was General Secretary of the Alumni Association, 1904-1029; Director of the Bureau of Alumni relations, 1929 -1950. He was both editor and illustrator of the Michigan Alumnus and Michigan Alumnus Quarterly Review.
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Law Quadrangle. no. 218
York and Sawyer, architects. Given to the university by William W. Cook, the four buildings comprising the Law Quadrangle with their construction dates are: the Lawyers Club, 1924; the John P. Cook Dormitory, 1930; the Legal Research Building, 1931, and Hutchins Hall, 1933. The Legal Research Building includes the original library.
On verso: Dr. W.P. Lombard standing on the left of the clock. Apparatus in foreground is one of the kymographs which Dr. Lombard brought from Germany' (Dr. John Bean 4/21/75). Could be as late as 1895 (Dr. H.W. Davenport 4/ 18/75).
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Albert Kahn, architect. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970, when the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
York and Sawyer, architect. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women in 1915, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City.