- Inventory Number
- P.Wisc. inv. 64
- Processing Number
Background and Physical Properties
- 8.6 x 19.7 cm
- 33 lines
- Conservation Status
- A light-brown papyrus, of a slightly darker color at the kollesis (approx. 4 cm. from the right-hand side). It is cut off fairly regularly only at the top. There is an upper margin of 1 cm.
- The text on the verso side was written after the papyrus was broken off at the right and left-hand sides. One vertical fold is still visible. The text is extremely difficult to read in some places due to holes and very bad fading.
- Palaeographic Description
- The hand on the Verso is well-trained and writes quite large letters. The text on the recto side, written in large letters by a well-trained hand, begins 1.5 cm. from the upper edge.
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- IIIrd century A.D.
- Provenance Unknown
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Petition concerning a House
- This papyrus was originally used for a document bearing upon the sale of a house (or houses). Also persons in military services would have been concerned in this matter.
- Subject Headings
- Military services.
- Dionysios, son of Satabous;
- Aos, physician;
- Achilleus, son of Lia;
- Onasioros, son of Valerianus;
- the . .] to Pyrrhos and his companions 2 artabas; [the . .] to the son of Selene 1/4 artaba and 6 choinikes; the 19th for baking bread and cakes 26 artabas; the 22nd to Apion, donkey-driver of Pyrrhos, son of Inosfor the rent of the land 3 artabas; the 23th to Apion for Ph( ) and the other of the calf-butchers 11 artabas; the 24th to Allus 2 artabas; the 29th were measured out for the calf-butchers to the dekaprotoi and their companions for beer 6 artabas and 9 choinikes and to the companions of the dekaprotoi 5 artabas and 1/4 artaba and 1 choinix; the total for the month (is) 807 artabas, 82 artabas and 6 choinikes are left from the month, 68. Phamenoth the third to Hierax for a short rope for the cistern 4 artabas; the 5th 2 artabas were measured out to Helena; the 6th 2 artabas were measured out to Helena; the 10th 300 artabas of corn were sold through Hierax to a stranger; the 13th to Dionysios, son of Satabous, 1 artaba, the 15th to Aos, physician, 3 artabas; the 21st to Hierax for [ ] implements to throw up ground 2 artabas; the 26th to Achilleus, son of Lia, for baking bread 2 artabas and 1/2 artabas and 8 choinikes; the 27th to Pison for baking bread 160 artabas; 212. Pharmuthi the [ . ] for baking bread 100 artabas and 2 choinikes; the 19th for baking bread 200 artabas and 2 choinikes; the 20th 263 artabas were sold; the 21st to Heraklios 1 artaba; the 24th to Allus, paper-seller, 1 artaba; [the . . ]to hates, son of [N.N.], 1 artaba; [the . . ] to Kapellos 1 artaba; [the . . ] to Allukios [ ] artaba(s); [the . . ] to Onasioros, son of Valerianus, 1 artaba; [the . . to N.N.], son of Valerius, [ ] artaba(s).
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PWisc I Sijpesteijn P.J. 1967 29 Plate X Sijpesteijn P.J., PWisc I, 29, 1967, Plate X
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Hagedorn Dieter, Bemerkungen zu Urkunden; ZPE 142 (2003) pp. 143-146.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)