Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 8.2 x 17.7 cm
- 13 lines
- Conservation Status
- A middle-brown papyrus, neatly cut off on all sides. At the top there is a margin left of 1.5 cm. at the left-hand side one of 1 cm. and at the bottom one of 6 cm. Four (?) vertical folds are still visible.
- Palaeographic Description
- The text runs parallel to the fibers and is quit worm-eaten. The hand is undoubtedly the same as that of papyrus 19, but it easier to read because a thinner pen and a better quality papyrus have been used.
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- August 3, 161 A.D.
- Provenance Unknown
- Papontos, alias Patas, foreman of the south ousia
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Application for payment
- This papyrus is addressed to a certain Matreas, who was a superior of Papontos. Papontos calls himself foreman of the kato ousia. This papyrus deals with one of the requests for payments of expenses incurred by the mangers of certain ousiai, and is addressed to the person who had the general superintendence of these ousiai in the district in which the estates were situated.
- Subject Headings
- Kato ousia
- Papontos, alias Patas;
- Papontos, alias Patas, foreman of the south ousia, to Matreas, greetings. If it seems right to you, lord, send me then for throwing up naubia, forty drachmas, total 40 drachmas, of which I shall render an account, through Thonas. I wish you well. The year 23 of Antoninus Caesar the lord, the 10th Mesore. Give the 40 drachmas.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PWisc I Sijpesteijn PJ 1967 21 Plate VII Sijpesteijn PJ, PWisc I, 21, 1967, Plate VII
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 3157 x 5574
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)